Launch & Change Control Placement (BMW Plant Hams Hall) Birmingham July 2024
We believe in creating an environment where our placement students really can learn and develop during their time with us and where they are given their own areas of responsibility from the start. Our experts and mentors will treat you as part of the team from day one, encouraging you to bring your own ideas to the table and giving you the opportunity to really show what you can do.
BMW Group Plant Hams Hall is a modern, state-of-the-art engine manufacturing facility, located just outside Birmingham, UK. Producing the latest generation of three and four cylinder petrol engines, and precision machining key engine components, the plant has recently celebrated 20 years of successful production. Operating seven days a week, with more than one engine rolling off the line per minute, the plant plays a key role in BMW Group’s global production network, supplying engines for BMW and MINI, including some of the latest plug-in hybrid vehicles.
To ensure that we are continually developing our workforce, we are looking for talented and motivated people who will inspire and shape our future business. Each year we offer internship opportunities and are keen to hear from you if you are currently studying an undergraduate degree and looking to complete a 13-month placement.
Launch & Change Control
Special engines are engines built to support car builds in advance of the start of mass production. You will experience a comprehensive view of all processes required to manufacture an engine in a modern mass production environment (including Logistics, Quality and Production as well as Project Management and Finance), and understand the mechanics of a high technology engine by participating in a strip and rebuild exercise. Our team is seeking an intern to join from July 2024.
What will you be doing?
- Coordination, tracking and reporting for special engine builds, including recording of special parts used and results of quality tests.
- Generating reports and monitoring Bill of Material status for special engines.
- Ensuring special engines are built to the correct customer specification and delivered to the customer on time.
- Supporting the Launch Specialists and Prototype Build team with preparations for weekly meetings and project management reviews.
- Monitoring the first build of new engine part numbers in the engine assembly line and producing and checking the necessary documentation.
- Studying a Bachelor’s or integrated Master’s degree and on track to achieve a 2:2 or above in a relevant Engineering course.
- Excellent PC skills with experience of using Microsoft Office products.
- A Quality Mindset and attentive to detail.
- Knowledge of German would be beneficial.
Why choose us?
- Great Pay – A competitive annual salary of £22,700, 26 days holiday per annum (pro rata to your contract) and an attractive pension scheme.
- Rewarding Work-Life Balance – Contracted working hours are 39 hours a week, with a half day on a Friday, helping you develop a fulfilling work-life balance.
- Exciting Additional Benefits – You will have the opportunity to enjoy other employee benefits, including access to our Advantages scheme which gives you a range of offers and discounts, an on-site gym and a subsidised on-site restaurant.
What are we responsible for?
- Supporting you in your training and ensuring you settle into your role and feel welcomed.
- Working sustainably and ethically.
- Providing you with the opportunity to bring your own ideas and develop yourself.
- Ensuring you are happy with your work-life balance and feel as though your contribution to the business is being valued.
- Encouraging you to develop your soft skills such as creating working relationships, communicating effectively, delivering presentations and gaining confidence in your own ability, supporting you in both your return to university and your future career.
What do you need to do now?
If this sounds like the opportunity for you then apply today using the link below.
The next stages of the recruiting process could include: online testing, video interview and then a face to face, telephone or virtual interview with the hiring manager. This may be in the form of an assessment centre.
We operate rolling recruitment, this means we may close the application window earlier than identified, if sufficient applications are received, so please apply early to avoid disappointment.
Please ensure that you complete all of the free text questions for your application to be progressed, and include a role relevant cover letter, explaining why we should consider you for this position.
To be eligible for this position, you must be returning to your studies, for a minimum of 6 months, after completion of this placement, and be able to provide proof of your legal right to work in the UK, if you are not a UK passport holder.
We are committed to promoting equal opportunities in employment and job applicants will receive equal treatment regardless of gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation.
Any further questions? Email us on FutureTalentRecruitment@bmwgroup.com