Risk Controlling Placement (BMW Financial Services) Farnborough July 2024
We believe in creating an environment where our placement students really can learn and develop during their time with us and where they are given their own areas of responsibilities from the start. Our experts and mentors will treat you as part of the team from day one, encouraging you to bring your own ideas to the table and giving you the opportunity to really show what you can do.
Our Summit ONE in Farnborough is home to the National Sales Company for the BMW Group in the UK, as well as BMW Group Financial Services which offers retailers, corporate and private customers a range of customised financial services. Alphabet (GB) Ltd. as a leading provider of Business Mobility Services is also located in Farnborough. We decided in November 2020 to bring together BMW Financial Services and Alphabet to stay relevant to our customers and continue to succeed in a rapidly changing business environment.
Within our self-contained campus, we offer a modern way of working with an empowering office culture, some aspects of which include:
- Our work persona shift – being yourself is effortless and so increases efficiency. For this reason we allow our employees to express themselves through the way they dress.
- Flexible working hours - working flexibly improves mental perspective and increases sustained productivity. This means our leaders maintain balance, not burnout, through focusing on output, not attendance.
- The opportunity to get involved with our continued support to our house charity with a variety of fundraising events throughout the year.
- Throughout our offices there are open creative spaces which hold facilities such as table-tennis tables to encourage innovation and employee engagement.
The Risk Controlling team consists of the Head of Risk Controlling and 6 Risk Controllers and sits within the Finance department. Risk Controlling is responsible for ensuring the risk costs are accurately calculated and provided for within the Financial Accounts. The main types of Risks within Financial Services are Residual Value Risk, Credit Risk and Interest Rate and Liquidity Risk. The team engages with the business to assess new initiatives, work on adhoc requests and projects; and as a department, they are responsible for:
- Forecasting and Budgeting the Residual Value and Credit Risk Costs and producing monthly variance analysis on actual results v planned.
- Delivering Management reporting to monitor risk and that can be used effectively to drive business decisions and shape future business strategy.
- Critically reviewing, validating and analysing risk models developed by Risk Management to ensure that they are accurately calculated, and calculating the associated impact on the P&L and Balance Sheet.
We have an exciting opportunity for a highly motivated and financially-minded individual to join our team on a 13 month student placement.
What will you be doing?
- You will gain industry experience and test drive a career in Financial Services.
- Have the opportunity to work on real responsibilities such as supporting Risk Controlling Analysts with the Forecasting and Budgeting of risk costs, preparation of monthly risk provisions and adhoc queries.
- You will take ownership of monthly reporting tasks that will be assigned to you to individually manage.
- You will build the skills to innovate using your own initiative.
- Receive on-going training based on your specific skill needs. You will finish the year with Advanced Excel, PowerPoint, SAS point and click interface skills and basic SQL.
- You will have the opportunity to work with Management and to present at Management Committees.
- You will gain experience of building working relationships with a diverse group of key stakeholders across the business.
- You will gain valuable experience of working in a regulated environment and associated documentation requirements.
- Studying for a Bachelor's Accounting, Economics, Management Science and Business or equivalent degree, ideally with an element of computer-based modules and predicted to graduate with a 2:2 or above.
- Alternatively we would consider a numerical or computer based discipline such as Computer Science, Mathematics or Science/ Engineering along with a demonstrable interest in business topics.
- Must have good A Levels in numerical subjects.
Additional skills: Special skills/technical ability etc.
- Intermediate Excel Skills. It would be an advantage to have knowledge of SAS or SQL.
- Desire and ability to learn SAS, using the point and click interface to create queries and reports enabling the analysis of business data.
- Ability to collate data for business from multiple sources and send out to stakeholders with capability to build reports
- Strong communication, influencing and facilitation skills.
- Ability to work at both a detailed and high level, prioritise activities, work under pressure and multi-task.
- Ability to work on own initiative (with support/mentoring as required).
- Individual must be ambitious and confident with a professional approach.
Why choose us?
- Great Pay – A competitive annual salary of £21,600, 27 days holiday per annum (pro rata to your contract) and an attractive pension scheme.
- Rewarding Work-Life Balance – Contracted working hours are 37.5 hours a week Monday to Friday, helping you develop a fulfilling work-life balance.
- Exciting Additional Benefits – You will have the opportunity to enjoy other employee benefits, including access to our Advantages scheme which gives you a range of offers, discounts, and a subsidised on-site restaurant.
What are we responsible for?
- Supporting you in your training and ensuring you settle into your role and feel welcomed.
- Working sustainably and ethically.
- Providing you with the opportunity to bring your own ideas and develop yourself.
- Ensuring you are happy with your work-life balance and feel as though your contribution to the business is being valued.
- Encouraging you to develop your soft skills such as creating working relationships, communicating effectively, delivering presentations and gaining confidence in your own ability, supporting you in both your return to university and your future career.
What do you need to do now?
If this sounds like the opportunity for you then apply today using the link below.
The next stages of the recruiting process could include: online testing, video interview and then a face to face, telephone or virtual interview with the hiring manager. This may be in the form of an assessment centre.
We operate rolling recruitment, this means we may close the application window earlier than identified, if sufficient applications are received, so please apply early to avoid disappointment.
Please ensure that you complete all of the free text questions for your application to be progressed, and include a role relevant cover letter, explaining why we should consider you for this position.
To be eligible for this position, you must be returning to your studies, for a minimum of 6 months, after completion of this placement, and be able to provide proof of your legal right to work in the UK, if you are not a UK passport holder.
We are committed to promoting equal opportunities in employment and job applicants will receive equal treatment regardless of gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation.
Any further questions? Email us on FutureTalentRecruitment@bmwgroup.com