System Integration Placement Southampton 2024
We have an exciting opportunity for students who are currently undertaking an undergraduate degree in Communications/Business/Marketing (or a similar subject. The subject matter is technical with an engineering bias, but the skills required in the role would suit an undergraduate studying a Communications/ Business/Marketing degree), to join our Research and Development function, based in Southampton, on a 12-month undergraduate placement. BAT will conduct the training needed to support and develop the technical Engineering knowledge required.
This placement is with our Systems Integration team, and we support a large cross section of the Research and Development New Categories business, within China and the UK.
During this placement you will join a major software implementation project which is transforming the way we work and manage our data within Research and Development. You will support the Change and Communications Lead in planning and delivering the strategy for this important change and how it is communicated to the global Research and Development team. You will use your interest and knowledge in creating and managing communications to produce and publish newsletters, arrange promotional activities, plan and monitor a monthly product training programme, prepare training material and contribute to process and procedure documents. You will have the opportunity work alongside project stakeholders and product users and to make a positive contribution to the overall product/project delivery.
What you will be accountable for
- Contributing to the department wide communication campaign strategy, as well as creating and delivering communication media using various methods;
- Creating and maintaining self-learning training material and technical documents;
- Maintaining process and procedure documents;
- Informing users about the new ways of working, the status of the project, and to keep them updated with developments relevant to them;
- Developing training material which will equip users with the knowledge they need to transition to the ways of working and become self-sufficient through continued learning.
Essential experience, skills and knowledge
- Working towards an undergraduate degree in Communications/Business/Marketing;
A bit more about BAT and our undergraduate placement scheme
We make significant investments in Research and Development to deliver innovations that satisfy or anticipate consumer needs and generate growth for the business. We conduct cutting-edge research to evaluate our Potentially Reduced Risk Products (PRRPs) and apply the highest standards for product safety and quality. Successful applicants will be involved in our extensive scientific research program which spans a broad spectrum of scientific fields - including molecular biology, human biology, toxicology, chemistry, biomedical sciences, psychology, neuroscience, sensorial science, data science, computer science, product design, and engineering disciplines
In the UK, we offer 12-months placement opportunities (starting on 2nd September 2024) to undergraduate students looking to gain practical experience within a vibrant and innovative industrial setting. As part of the scheme, you will be partnered with a mentor, have regular reviews with your Line Manager and work on projects that impact the business.
BAT has an established placement programme, with a dedicated Placement Team, which provides training and development throughout the placement. This includes sessions for onboarding, presentation skills, critical thinking, scientific poster presentations and ‘speed networking’ with senior management. Successful applicants are provided with multiple opportunities to develop transferable skills in addition to gaining ‘hands on’ experience in a technical discipline.
As part of the scheme students get a chance to cultivate their independent thinking and problem-solving skills in addition to working in and contributing to a team. Cross functional/department working and participation in other research activities is also encouraged, where appropriate. Previous work experience in a practical ‘hands-on’ role would be useful but not essential.
This role is due to start in September 2024, and we will be shortlisting applications and carrying out telephone interviews whilst the advert is live. We will look to make an offer to the successful candidate as close to the closing date as possible. However, the vetting and onboarding processes for successful candidates won’t begin until the role is opened in our system, which is likely to be later in 2024, so we will contact successful candidates again to commence these processes when the position opens.
- Subsidised on-site gym membership
- Subsidised lunches
- 25 days annual leave
- Free on-site parking
- Participation in the Discretionary Company Bonus Scheme
- Participation in the Company Share Reward Scheme
- Participation in the Company Pension Scheme
- Private Healthcare Cover
- Eligibility for Company Flexible Benefits Scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Dedicated mentor
We reserve the right to close this advert before the 31 st of December if we have a high level of applications.
We are bat
At BAT we are committed to our Purpose of creating A Better Tomorrow. This is what drives our people and our passion for innovation. See what is possible for you at BAT.
- Global Top Employer with 53,000 BAT people across more than 180 markets
- Brands sold in over 200 markets, made in 44 factories in 42 countries
- Newly established Tech Hubs building world-class capabilities for innovation in 4 strategic locations
- Diversity leader in the Financial Times and International Women’s Day Best Practice winner
- Seal Award winner – one of 50 most sustainable companies
Belonging, achieving, together
Collaboration, diversity and teamwork underpin everything we do here at BAT. We know that collaborating with colleagues from different backgrounds is what makes us stronger and best prepared to meet our business goals. Come bring your difference!