Software Test Engineering Placement Cambridge 2024
Do you always wonder why something works the way it does, and what would happen if you didn’t follow the expected path? If you have an interest in coding and enjoy technical challenges, then an internship in software testing could provide the creative outlet for your curiosity.
Our Software Test Group is growing, so if you want to help create innovative products for a wide variety of clients during your placement year, Cambridge Consultants is the place for you.
We are looking for an Intern Software Test Engineer to help create test solutions for complex wireless systems and products. Working closely with the test and development groups you will receive lots of help and support, to enable you to learn about new products and domains, to design and create tests to thoroughly test the products being developed. The sort of software written by development is often at the electronics/software boundary and/or in a constrained environment (e.g. memory constraints, low power).
We recruit on a rolling basis which means as soon as our positions have been filled, the scheme will close to new applications. So, we'd advise applying as soon as possible to avoid missing out.
Successful candidates can join us between May-September 2024 for this 12 month placement.
Cambridge Consultants is a world leader in wireless communications, with one of the largest independent wireless development teams in the world. The markets that we address include telecommunications, healthcare, industrial, satellite, consumer and automotive.
The Test Group in the Wireless Division works closely with other disciplines to test cutting-edge software, hardware, to complete end-to-end systems. Team sizes can be small or large, but all are made up of highly skilled engineers.
The group carries out test planning, design and testing of all products coming into the Wireless Division. This includes creation of bespoke automation harnesses, usually in Python, and the development of continuous integration and deployment pipelines.
What youll be doing
As you develop, with specific training and support, you will become responsible for:
- The scoping and design of test activities, usually on more than one project at once.
- Test script creation and assisting with the design and maintenance of bespoke test harnesses.
- Delivery of high-quality code, compliant with our internal coding standards.
- Carrying out your specific project tasks within the timescales and budgets agreed with the project manager.
- As your experience develops, you might wish to take on further responsibilities.
To meet the requirements of this role you should:
- Be on track for a 2:1 or 1st class degree in a relevant subject, such as engineering, physics, or computer science, and be on a course which allows you to take an industrial placement year.
- Have an interest in scripting languages, and ideally some experience using Python.
- Possess good communication and team-working skills.
- Have a keen interest in current technology.
In addition, any experience of the following would be advantageous but not essential:
- Wireless communications systems.
- Windows / Linux programming.
- Other programming languages such as C/C++/Java.
Interns gain invaluable hands-on experience by working alongside our staff on real projects. It’s also a chance to show us what you can do – internships can sometimes lead to the offer of a full-time job once you’ve completed your studies, therefore we invite applications from people who may be interested in applying for a full-time job with us after their degree.
Some of our excellent benefits include a good salary (pro-rata), free canteen
Cambridge Consultants is committed to developing its employees' careers and has a flexible policy for individual capabilities and preferences. Promotion is linked to merit.