Hardware & Software Test Engineering Placement Cambridge 2024
Do you always wonder why something works the way it does, and what would happen if you didn’t follow the expected path? If you want to work with wireless technologies and build complex test rigs incorporating RF, hardware and software, then an internship in Software & Hardware Test could provide a creative outlet for your curiosity.
We are looking for an Intern Hardware & Software Test Engineer to help create test solutions for complex devices and their associated software. Working closely with the test and development groups you will receive lots of help and support. You will have the ability to learn about new products and domains, to design and create hardware setups, and to identify and create test scenarios so that you will be able to thoroughly test the products being developed. The sort of products being developed are often at the electronics/software boundary and/or in a constrained environment (e.g. ever increasing radio frequencies, memory constraints and low power).
We recruit on a rolling basis which means as soon as our positions have been filled, the scheme will close to new applications. So, we'd advise applying as soon as possible to avoid missing out.
Successful candidates can join us between May-September 2024 for this 12 month placement.
Cambridge Consultants is a world leader in wireless communications, with one of the largest independent wireless development teams in the world. The markets that we address include telecommunications, healthcare, industrial, satellite, consumer and automotive.
The Test Group in the Wireless Division works closely with other disciplines to test cutting-edge software, hardware to complete end-to-end systems. Team sizes can be small or large, but all are made up of highly skilled engineers.
The group carries out test planning, design and testing of all products coming into the Wireless Division.
What youll be doing
As you develop, with specific training and support, you will become responsible for:
- The scoping and design of test activities, usually on more than one project at once.
- Building and running complex test rigs both in Hardware and Software domains.
- Test procedure/system generation, to provide accurate and repeatable results and assisting in the maintenance of these test procedures and systems.
- Carrying out your specific project tasks within the timescales and budgets agreed with the project manager.
- As your experience develops, you will have the chance to take on more responsibilities.
To meet the requirements of this role you will:
- Be on track for a 2:1 or 1st class degree in a relevant subject, such as engineering, physics, or electronics, and be on a course which allows you to take an industrial placement year.
- Possess good communication and team-working skills.
- Have a keen interest in current technology.
In addition, any experience of the following would be advantageous, although we would still encourage you to apply without:
- Understanding of wireless communications systems.
- Experience with hardware and test equipment
- Experience of Python or other coding languages
Interns gain invaluable hands-on experience by working alongside our staff on real projects. It’s also a chance to show us what you can do – internships can sometimes lead to the offer of a full-time job once you’ve completed your studies, therefore we invite applications from people who may be interested in applying for a full-time job with us after their degree.
Some of our excellent benefits include a good salary (pro-rata), free canteen
Cambridge Consultants is committed to developing its employees' careers and has a flexible policy for individual capabilities and preferences. Promotion is linked to merit.
Cambridge Consultants is a workplace where everyone is welcome. When the brightest minds come together and feel included, that’s when we develop the most important technology breakthroughs. We believe that diversity can only flourish when everyone feels involved and has a sense of belonging. We welcome and value all people regardless of their characteristics and encourage applications from all backgrounds and dimensions of society.