Commercial, Business Management and Marketing Placement Desford 2024
Your Work Shapes the World at Caterpillar Inc.
When you join Caterpillar, you're joining a global team who cares not just about the work we do – but also about each other. We are the makers, problem solvers, and future world builders who are creating stronger, more sustainable communities. We don't just talk about progress and innovation here – we make it happen, with our customers, where we work and live. Together, we are building a better world, so we can all enjoy living in it.
Who is Caterpillar?
Caterpillar is the world’s leading manufacturer of construction and mining equipment, diesel and natural gas engines, industrial gas turbines and diesel-electric locomotives. Operating from 50 countries around the globe, the Caterpillar brand has developed into a symbol of strength, respect, and integrity. The organisation has a clear vision to be the global leader in providing customer value in the markets in which it operates. Our core values (Integrity, Excellence, Teamwork, Commitment and Sustainability) are key to our success.
What do we do?
Caterpillar’s Desford facility, located in West Leicestershire, forms part of the Building and Construction Products division (BCP). In addition to design, development and manufacturing of Backhoe Loader and Compact Wheel Loader product lines, Desford is home to teams who provide support to our customers and dealers, primarily throughout Europe, Africa and Middle East (EAME). BCP Desford have an exciting opportunity for an industrial placement student to join our Commercial team. We are a key business group supporting dealer operations, machine sales, and working with our dealers and customers to provide product training
Diversity at Caterpillar
When we leverage our people's experiences, backgrounds and cultures in an inclusive environment, we enable every individual to achieve their full potential, which drives business success. Caterpillar is an equal opportunity employer, and we welcome applicants from diverse backgrounds.
What experiences can we offer you?
Our 12-month industrial placement will focus on supporting customer and dealer visits, delivering product training, and working on Industry team projects – driving increased sales and revenues. From day one you will be embedded in a team delivering support to customers, dealers and our industry teams, collaborating with people in Caterpillar facilities worldwide.
Responsibilities will include:
- Organisation of, and providing support during dealer training events
- Supporting day to day customer visits, factory tours and product walkarounds
- Shadowing commercial team members during interactions with dealers, customers and other groups within CAT
- Supporting the integration and demonstration of key technologies and product solutions within Customer and Training Centres in the UK and globally
- Performing key roles within industry team projects covering warranty, sales, distribution, and logistics
We will provide you with a mentor to support you throughout your professional development to help you gain Chartered or Incorporated Status if required. We also operate a conditional offers process; our highest performing placement students are fast tracked to our graduate development scheme with a conditional offer of employment upon returning to university. This includes a financial incentive and the potential of a summer work placement.
We really value diversity at Caterpillar and the benefits to our business it provides – we will provide you the opportunity to collaborate and share your creative ideas throughout your career. We will provide you the training and support you need to be successful at Caterpillar
We hold a Meet and Greet day for all new UK placement students to provide you with an opportunity to meet fellow new starters across the UK before you start your placement.
Who are we looking for?
- It is essential that applicants should have achieved or be on track to achieve a minimum of a 2:2 in Business, Economics, Finance, Engineering or a similar related degree
As the type of roles within our business are becoming more diverse, we are looking for people who are open minded, excellent problem solvers and who have an ability to learn quickly. Experience of or an active interest in construction equipment, agricultural machines or similar mechanical equipment is advantageous but not essential. Multi-language skills and a willingness to travel are an advantage.
Here is a brief overview of what you can expect when applying to our Early Career roles…
- Online Application: The first stage of the process is to complete the online application and attach your CV, this must be done before the closing date of the role that you're applying for. Once we reach the close date, we will begin reviewing all our applications, this may take a little while and we will contact you as soon as possible to let you know if you have been successful in moving forward to the next stage.
- Stage one – Video Interview: If selected, you will be invited to attend a pre-recorded user-friendly video interview which you have one week to complete and submit. You are able to record your answers several times to allow you plenty of practice if required. Please ensure that you check your spam emails for this invite. At this stage if you are successful, you will be invited to attend an Assessment Centre either onsite or virtually between January and April 2024.
- Stage two – Assessment Centre: The Assessment Centre day will look at a range of behaviours such as teamwork, decision-making, communication, and problem-solving. We aim to make these days fun, inclusive and as relaxed as possible.
- Stage three – Offer: After the Assessment Centre, the Caterpillar team will review the feedback and extend offers to our preferred candidates, we aim to do this as quickly as possible. Placement Students will start on 8th July 2024 and Graduate Students will start on 9th September 2024. We look forward to receiving your application to join Caterpillar!
If you require any reasonable adjustments throughout the recruitment process, please let us know and we will accommodate wherever possible.