Human Resources Placement Peterlee 2024
Your Work Shapes the World at Caterpillar Inc.
When you join Caterpillar, you're joining a global team who cares not just about the work we do – but also about each other. We are the makers, problem solvers, and future world builders who are creating stronger, more sustainable communities. We don't just talk about progress and innovation here – we make it happen, with our customers, where we work and live. Together, we are building a better world, so we can all enjoy living in it.
At Caterpillar, you build what matters—whether it’s the career you want, crucial work skills, strong relationships or new technologies. – Our work is powered by our people.
Who is Caterpillar?
Caterpillar is the world’s leading manufacturer of construction and mining equipment, diesel and natural gas engines, industrial gas turbines and diesel-electric locomotives. Operating from 50 countries around the globe, the Caterpillar brand has developed into a symbol of strength, respect, and integrity. The organisation has a clear vision to be the global leader in providing customer value in the markets in which it operates. Our core values (Integrity, Excellence, Teamwork, Commitment and Sustainability) are key to our success.
What do we do?
Caterpillar Peterlee is the worldwide source of Cat® Articulated Trucks, currently producing an 8-model range used in many industries including mining, construction, and aggregates. The facility's manufacturing activities use the latest computer analysis techniques, robotic technology, and a state-of-the-art paint plant. Machines from the site are shipped to customers around the world.
The Human Resources (HR) team which you will work within are responsible for partnering with leaders and employees throughout the business; working towards maximising the potential of each employee and making sure Caterpillar is a great place to work. Together with the extended team in Caterpillar’s UK HR In Country Team and Corporate HR, they represent the whole spectrum of HR.
Diversity at Caterpillar
When we leverage our people's experiences, backgrounds and cultures in an inclusive environment, we enable every individual to achieve their full potential, which drives business success. We are proud to be named the employer of one of the top 50 Women in Engineering (WE50 2021). Caterpillar is an equal opportunity employer, and we welcome applicants from diverse backgrounds.
What experiences can we offer you?
You will gain invaluable experience working predominantly within the core HR team (Employee Relations Team). In addition to working with the core HR team you will also be exposed to recruitment & selection, learning & development, and occupational health.
You will gain professional experience which will ultimately allow you to transition into a general HR practitioner. The role will provide you with solid grounding and will be the catalyst from which you are able to progress and continue your commitment to a career in Human Resources. This is a fantastic opportunity for a local placement with an international employer.
Job duties and responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
- Maintaining the employee absence tracking system and liasing closely with Occupational Health
- Supporting the day-to-day running of the HR team
- Note taking in disciplinary and grievance meetings
- Producing and formatting presentations for a variety of HR topics
- Supporting on delivering learning and development requirements
- Supporting the recruitment process
- Producing absence and disciplinary KPIs
- Liaising with managers for all HR related matters
- Supporting production workforce in accessing relevant systems i.e., Workday
We hold a Meet and Greet day for all new UK placement students to provide you with an opportunity to meet fellow new starters across the UK before you start your placement.
Who are we looking for?
Skills, experiences and qualifications you must have:
- It is essential that applicants should have achieved or be on track to achieve a minimum of a 2:2 in one of the following disciplines: Business and HR Management or Business Management (in which you have covered at least one HR module)
- Ability to work alone and as part of a team
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Able to demonstrate good organisational, analytical and time management skills
- Experience in using Office365 tools i.e., Excel and PowerPoint
Skills, experiences and qualifications you may have:
- Any relevant experience in administration, HR, or an office-based role
- Part of a society or sports team internal or external to university
Here is a brief overview of what you can expect when applying to our Early Career roles…
- Online Application: The first stage of the process is to complete the online application and attach your CV, this must be done before the closing date of the role that you're applying for. Once we reach the close date, we will begin reviewing all our applications, this may take a little while and we will contact you as soon as possible to let you know if you have been successful in moving forward to the next stage.
- Stage one – Video Interview: If selected, you will be invited to attend a pre-recorded user-friendly video interview which you have one week to complete and submit. You are able to record your answers several times to allow you plenty of practice if required. Please ensure that you check your spam emails for this invite. At this stage if you are successful, you will be invited to attend an Assessment Centre either onsite or virtually between January and April 2024.
- Stage two – Assessment Centre: The Assessment Centre day will look at a range of behaviours such as teamwork, decision-making, communication, and problem-solving. We aim to make these days fun, inclusive and as relaxed as possible.
- Stage three – Offer: After the Assessment Centre, the Caterpillar team will review the feedback and extend offers to our preferred candidates, we aim to do this as quickly as possible. Placement Students will start on 8th July 2024.We look forward to receiving your application to join Caterpillar!
How do I apply?
NOTE: Only one application is required, please do not apply for multiple roles. You may be given the opportunity of being considered for other roles/locations at a later stage.
The panel cannot make assumptions when shortlisting therefore please demonstrate your qualifications and experience on your CV relevant to the criteria outlined.
Pending the number of applications, the criteria for the position may be enhanced to facilitate shortlisting.
Click the apply button today and one of our friendly recruiters will be in touch.