Supplier Development Engineering Graduate Programmes 2021
We are the world's leading manufacturer of Construction and Mining Equipment, diesel and natural gas engines, industrial gas turbines and diesel-electric locomotives. Operating from 50 countries around the globe, the Caterpillar brand has developed into a symbol of strength, respect, and integrity. The organisation has a clear vision to be the global leader in providing customer value in the markets in which it operates. Our core values (Integrity, Excellence, Teamwork, Commitment and Sustainability) are key to our success.
What do we do?
Caterpillar Leicester is part of the Building Construction Products (BCP) division, manufacturing a range of world class Backhoe Loaders and Compact Wheel Loaders, as part of the wider BCP range. Leicester is more than just a production area - it is a full product development facility with global responsibility for its products. Our development facilities include: Advanced 3D CAD systems on-line to other Caterpillar engineering resource centres around the world, full product prototyping and engineering capabilities, and, through the international network, access to some of the most advanced Research & Development facilities in the world. We have an exciting opportunity in our Systems Engineering and Supply Management teams.
What experiences can we offer you?
Our Global Engineering and Supply Management teams, design and develop construction machines for assembly in the UK and other countries for distribution to worldwide markets. Our key functions are new product development - driven by customer requirements, legislation and the business need – and the ongoing improvement of existing products. Our solutions are designed to align with Supplier capability, capacity and cost profiles and be validated to quality specifications.
During this two-year graduate scheme, you will complete four six month rotations. Your first rotation will be within your home department as a Supplier Development Engineer, followed by three further rotations in specific Engineering and support departments. Over the course of the training programme you will gain an understanding of Caterpillar's business, products, systems, and procedures. You will learn and develop skills which result from the practical application of basic engineering & manufacturing knowledge and to provide assistance to a project team or others in the work group.
To work as part of a team, accountable for the delivery of projects, in one or more of the following areas:
- Advanced Product Quality Planning (APQP), including Production Part Approval Process (PPAP), with strong collaboration with suppliers to ensure designs are suitable for manufacture
- Root Cause Corrective Action processes, to act robustly when defects do occur
- Supplier Development initiatives embraced by the Supplier Quality Excellence Program
- New component and system design and existing component design improvements to resolve quality issues or save cost
- Shop-floor support for prototype and production machine build activities
- Requirements definition, including critical customer requirements, application profiles, competitive machine positioning and refinement of designs based on test failures or prototype build difficulties.
We promote a hands-on approach, including being trained in machine operation and interacting with customers directly in order to better understand customer applications. We will provide you the training and support you need to be successful at Caterpillar. Our graduates are mentored and guided towards achieving Professional Engineer status in the early stages of their careers.
Who are we looking for?
- Good communication skills, both written and verbal, a second language would be an asset.
- Ability to develop strong working relationships with Suppliers and internal stakeholders.
- Willing to travel and engage with different cultures.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a global team, as well as on own initiative.
- Interest in automotive, industrial machine or agriculture would be beneficial.
- Knowledge of 3D CAD tools such as Creo.
- Desire to challenge both yourself and the organisation on delivery of technically superior cost-effective solutions in both Supply Chain and Engineering disciplines.
Applicants will be on track to achieve or have achieved a minimum of 2:2 honours degree level in Aeronautical, Aerospace, Agricultural, Automotive, Mechanical, Design and Manufacturing Engineering.
Other relevant degrees may be considered