Proposals Intern 2021
Christie’s is the world’s leading art business. Since 1766, we are known for our extraordinary art, unparalleled service and expertise, as well as international glamour. Every year, we offer around 350 live and online auctions in over 80 specialist categories – including all areas of fine and decorative arts, Asian art and luxury collectables – as well as a long and successful history of private sales.
Christie’s is looking for an enthusiastic intern to join our dynamic Proposals team in London.
Proposals is a small but high-performing team that produces bespoke proposals to convince clients to sell their works of art with Christie’s. You will play a pivotal role within the team, supporting the department’s five writers and two graphic designers to produce persuasive, beautifully designed, high-quality proposal documents/presentations – to tight deadlines – in order to win crucial business for Christie’s. You will undergo basic training on using a Mac, using InDesign CC2019 (a desktop publishing package) and using Adobe Photoshop (image software).
Traditionally based at King Street in London, the Proposals team is currently working remotely due to the global pandemic. The successful candidate will need to be flexible about working from home/back in the office (up to five days a week) as the pandemic and Christie’s policies evolve.
Specific duties & responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- As necessary, assisting with producing proposal documents for Christie’s departments, such as collating images, writing image captions and helping on proposals content.
- Assist in formatting and filing all view/event/auction shots commissioned from external photographer, and ensure that the department image database and department contact sheet book are constantly updated.
- Scanning images for the team as needed, and learning to use Adobe Photoshop to manipulate images when necessary.
- Requesting/obtaining images from our in-house systems; ensuring they arrive quickly and are formatted as necessary on arrival.
- Maintaining departmental information files such as those containing press quotations, staff biographies, staff signatures and specialist team pages.
- Maintaining the Proposals Department Library, including combing the America/Asia/Paris libraries.
- Overseeing organisation of shared OneDrive (Sharepoint) folders.
- Assisting the Administrator in updating the Filemaker database, distributing weekly reports and sending team reminders as required.
- Being the point of contact for other Christie’s departments and Christie’s regional Proposal teams in Paris, New York and Hong Kong; supplying pdfs, images or other info as necessary.
- Using the Proposals Archiving server to answer any queries about historic proposals.
- Organising the monthly writers’ meeting, including preparing the agenda and circulating minutes.
- Other administrative duties and general research to assist the writing team.
In the Office (when applicable):
- General housekeeping of the departmental printer/meeting room, including co-ordinating printer maintenance, maintenance of proposals archive and ordering office supplies.
- Printing and binding documents in-house.
- Post and courier duties.
- Fluency in English (written and spoken)
- Minimum of BA degree or equivalent
- An interest in art / the art market / Christie’s
- Have good writing skills including excellent grammar (for proofing)
- Have a strong sense of personal accountability
- Be able to work well as part of a team
- Be computer literate (although InDesign and Photoshop training can be given) – however, preference will be given to applicants familiar with Macs
- Be highly organised
- Have exceptional attention to detail
- Be quick to learn and implement
- Be able to work well under pressure
- To use initiative
- Be confident, with excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to prioritise and manage a diverse workload
- Have the energy and commitment to work the hours necessary to meet tight deadlines
- Have a “can-do” attitude and the ability to remain cheerful under pressure