Graduate Junior Software Developer
The Company is a leading liquidity provider and specialist market maker. The company’s strength is provided by our people and their flare for innovation. Winterflood combines expertise in trading with sophisticated proprietary technology to create a range of highly flexible execution services for our diverse client base. The Company is a wholly owned subsidiary of Close Brothers Group plc which is listed on the London Stock Exchange. A fantastic opportunity for a Computer Science or Information Technology graduate looking to build a career in the financial services sector. The Company requires multiple graduate Developers to join the Software Development team. Winterflood warmly welcomes applicants from diverse backgrounds, as we remain committed to addressing under representation in the industry as part of our board-level Diversity and Inclusion strategy.
- To assist the Senior Software Developers and Software Developers in the gathering of business requirements, internal designs and system requirements.
- To help provide accurate quotations for work based upon the requirements provided.
- To develop structured clean re-usable code that follows the pre-defined development standards.
- To actively learn best practices for the development domain.
- To proficiently manage one’s own performance against the development project team objectives; taking clear remedial action where necessary, providing appropriate reporting against effective KPI and informing the Lead Software Developer or Senior Software Developer of significant changes when appropriate
- To assist the Lead Software Developers and Senior Software Developers at all stages of the development life cycle: initial analysis, design, development, integration, testing, debugging and support.
- To mitigate potential technical risks, escalating issues to the Lead Software Developer or Senior Software Developer, as appropriate
- To fully understand the business requirements and objectives for the assigned projects
- To develop code that follows the pre-defined development standards.
- To actively seek code reviews from senior members of the team to ensure code quality and functionality is correct.
- To consider system performance requirements and to seek advice from the Lead Software Developer, Senior Software Developer, or development managers when making specific determinations relating to performance or architecture requirements.
- To follow best practice in respect of the full developmental lifecycle by:
- Write clean and healthy structured, well documented code.
- To deliver code which is well tested and consistently error free.
- To provide clear information for Senior Software Developers to be able to design and build database schemas.
- Understand how to use the software development tools effectively and efficiently, and why certain tools and processes are important for the team to follow.
- To be aware of the technical strategy, product roadmap and general development activities.
- To regularly review your project progress and feedback honest status reports to Lead Software Developer, or Senior Software Developers, or Project Management.
- To handle end user support issues as quickly and efficiently as possible with an appropriate resolution, or escalate critical support issues to a Senior Support Technician.
- Participate in effective communication within the team by:
- Attending, and participating in discussions regarding internal process and system improvements in order to ensure maximum efficiencies are obtained.
- Participate in discussing cross team ideas and initiatives to bring products and services together, and innovative ideas or options made available by new technologies.
- Freely share knowledge insight, best practices and ideas.
- To adhere to our strong culture of compliance, risk management, integrity, client focus and other such Winterflood or Close Brothers values
Skills & Experience
- Minimum 2.1 Degree in Computer Science or related field
- Proficient in C# / C++, with a good knowledge of its ecosystems
- Experience of GUI / UX development in a desktop context
- Familiar with design patterns and able to discuss their use in designs
- Knowledge of concurrency patterns in C# and/or C++
- Understands the fundamental design principles behind a scalable application
- Proficient with Git/SVN and the use of branching strategies
- Excellent analytical skills
- Able to work efficiently within a highly skilled team
- Have excellent oral and written skills
- Pro-active can-do attitude with excellent problem solving capabilities
- Excellent time keeping and prioritisation skills
- Excellent communication skills and ability to build a good rapport with colleagues
Differentiating Skills & Experience
- UI development with WPF
- Knowledge / experience of ActiveMQ / AMQ / other messaging technologies
- Knowledge / experience of in-memory database technologies such as Mongo / Cassandra
- Practical understanding of relational databases
- Practical experience of Linux
- Knowledge of the FIX protocol
- Knowledge of PROGRESS ABL
- Knowledge / experience of securities/securities trading
- Strong mathematical / modelling skills / aptitude
- A strong desire to learn
- Commitment to continuous personal development
- Ability to multi-task, work well under pressure and use own initiative
- Able to adapt to working in a strongly regulated financial services leader