Graduate Paralegal Academy - Edinburgh
At Clyde & Co, we're leaders in the Casualty market. Built on scale, unparalleled expertise and a new vision for making the most of AI, data and technology, our Casualty practice is the biggest in the UK. With 480 partners, 2400 lawyers, and 3200 legal professionals in over 60 locations on 6 continents, our reach is truly global.
Based at our Edinburgh office, our incredibly varied workload includes multi-million cases that take us from our desks to courtrooms across the UK. It's a chance to learn from true industry experts and experienced people at all levels of our business - all committed to helping you build a successful law career.
Our values are the principles that guide the decisions we make, unite us in our endeavours and strengthen our delivery, for our clients and our firm. We:
- Work as one We are a globally connected team of talented people who act with a firm-first mentality to achieve success
- Excel with clients We aim high and challenge ourselves to deliver unique excellence for our clients, keeping them at the centre of everything we do
- Celebrate difference We help each other to be at our best and believe our differences result in greater achievement
- Act boldly We seek new opportunities, take action and learn as we go, recognising that curiosity drives our development and contributes to growth
What is the Paralegal Academy?
There's more than one path into a law career, and our Paralegal Academy offers a brilliant new way to build an exciting future in our Casualty Practice. If you're fresh out of university, or you're switching careers, we've designed this fantastic programme to nurture you as a Paralegal and help you become part of an amazing story - ours.
Working closely with our Partners and experienced fee earners, you'll play an important role in our Casualty teams with a workload that ranges from running your own cases, to assisting in complex, high value claims. Covering a range of areas from Credit Hire to Catastrophic Injury, you'll be involved in instructing counsel and medical experts, taking statements, assessing evidence, reviewing medical records, attending conferences, and much more.
We've designed our Paralegal Academy to offer the very best on the job training and experience in our sector. Our Paralegal Academy Lead will be on hand to keep everything running smoothly, and our Legal Training Manager will also support you with technical and structured training - so you can get the skills and experience to go further than you imagine.
Our Casualty teams comprise of some of the most experienced and knowledgeable practitioners in our industry, all ready to lead, guide and mentor you on your career journey. You'll work closely with our Partners on every aspect of the cases you support. And you'll discover a genuinely inclusive workplace that not only reflects the diversity of the communities we serve, but offers unique opportunities to learn from an equally diverse team of experts.
When you join our Paralegal Academy, you'll experience a fully tailored and personalised programme of development that suits your skills and ambition, and if you're one of our top performers, you could also be accepted onto our Casualty SQE qualification programme dependant on eligibility criteria in line with The University of Law, our nominated provider.
This is a brilliant opportunity for anyone who's interested in a law career - even if you've missed previous application deadlines, or if law wasn't your first career choice. You don't even need experience in law - what's most important is that you have a UK Bachelors degree at 2:2 or above in any subject, or an equivalent qualification. We're looking for people with excellent communication and organisational skills, and an ability to work well under pressure. Some knowledge of the litigation process would also be useful - but it's not essential.
- Candidates must be able to demonstrate that they will have indefinite leave to remain within the UK upon commencement of employment. As a holder of a UK Government issued sponsorship licence, Clyde & Co must adhere to all rules and regulations outlined in relation to sponsorship of workers. This includes but is not limited to, the salary threshold limits set by the UK Government, which this role unfortunately does not meet."
- 2:2 degree in any discipline
- CCC A-Level or equivalent (Mitigating circumstances will be taken into consideration)
- Grade C at GCSE English Literature and Language
We use RARE a contextualised recruitment system to ensure fairness and equality and review applications holistically.
During our recruitment process we are assessing candidates based on the strengths that will deliver success in a role. This is great for the individual, doing work they love, and great for the employer, having team members who love what they do.
What we offer
- Competitive salary
- No law experience required
- Combination of office and hybrid working
You will also be entitled to a range of rewards and benefits:
- Pension scheme
- Group income protection
- Maternity and paternity pay
- Holiday purchase
- Season ticket loan
- Cycle to work scheme
- Gym subsidy
We'll make sure you have plenty of support throughout your programme. You can also look forward to on-going internal training designed to ensure you have the skills, knowledge, and commercial acumen you need to become a well-rounded Paralegal.
The application process
We are looking for applicants with the motivation to join our firm and potential to be successful in the role throughout our process. The application process varies slightly from programme to programme, but this is what you'll need to do for this opportunity:
- Explore the programme specific information to understand which opportunity is the right one for you.
- You'll need to make your application online via our online application system.
- You will then be invited to complete our digital immersive assessment which simulates a realistic preview of what it's like to work at Clyde & Co. It looks to assess specific strengths and skills required in the role and asks you to complete a series of motivational and strengths-based questions through video interviews.
- Following this, if successful, we will be in contact to invite you to a virtual assessment centre, that will consist of a written task and a strengths based interview.
- Please note: The majority of our vacancies are for June and September start dates, so you may not hear from us with the outcome of your application until the summer. We will inform all candidates of an outcome, so if you don't hear from us before the summer it means your application is still being considered.
- For graduates / immediately available candidates: We have various start dates throughout the year, from March onwards, so recruit on a rolling basis and recommend that you apply as soon as possible.
- Please only apply for one location. Multiple applications will not be considered!
- Some of our teams within the Casualty Practice require Paralegals to travel as part of the role, therefore, our application form does include a section around drivers licenses and vehicles that we encourage you to complete in the early stages.