Graduate BIM Newcastle 2021
Costain helps to improve people’s lives by deploying technology-based engineering solutions to meet urgent national needs across the UK’s energy, water and transportation infrastructures.
The Regional Delivery Partnership is a framework contract with Highways England for the development, design and construction of capital road projects that form part of the Regional Investment Programme during Road Period 1 (2015 to 2020) and Road Period 2 (2020 to 2025). The Costain Jacobs Partnership were awarded two lots; Lot 7 (East Region) & Lot 8 (North Region).
This vacancy relates to Lot 8 for the delivery of 3 schemes along the A1 corridor in Newcastle and Northumberland, with a combined value in excess of £600m;
- A1 Scotswood to North Brunton – currently in construction
- A1 Birtley to Coal House – construction March 2021 – end 2023
- A1 in Northumberland – construction end spring 2022 – late 2024
Whilst flexible and remote working is undertaken, there will be a requirement to be present in our Blaydon or West Boldon offices for training, key workshops, to maintain contact and for team events. Scheme delivery may require the predominant working base to be in Northumberland.
Due to the current COVID restrictions the team are working from home; this will continue whilst current best practices deem it necessary.
What will I be doing?
You will be working on multiple Highway projects in the production of updating issued for construction drawings to become As-built drawings. You will look to update actual 3D models to as-built status. You will be working along experienced staff and designers to gain great knowledge and insight to the required process. As a graduate you will start to take on some responsibility for the project teams’ delivery of BIM Level 2 which is a requirement of the client and a government mandate. This will be under the supervision of an experienced BIM Manager and or BIM Coordinator.
- Updating CAD drawings on various schemes
- Updating models
- Producing 4d sequencing
- Producing 5d bills of quantities
- Production of Asset data for handover
- Recording and issuing on our Common Data Environment system eg ProjectWise, Business Collaborator (Training will be provided)
- Provide day to day support for BIM team
- Provide support for engineering team
We are looking for an enthusiastic, motivated, and self-driven individual to join our BIM team in the production of as-built drawings and help with the handover process on a number of schemes. Training on various CAD software will be given.
You are good at
- Being a self-starter / Pro-active or Being able to work on own initiative
- Being able to prioritise work or excellent organisational, communication and time management skills
- Have a good attention to detail
- Being highly motivated, committed, and hard working
- Having good communication and interpersonal skills
- Have a customer driven focus
- Be computer literate
- Be able to work on own initiative when required
Having experience of CAD would be advantageous but not a necessity, as training will be provided for our particular digital tool set.
What will the programme involve
- A recognised qualification in BIM
- Day release towards further qualifications qualification
- A Supervising BIM Technician / Engineer to support you
- Attendance on the graduate development programme
- On-going support and reviews on your progress
- Options to attend career events and promote the business
- Training in line with your qualification, to help personal development
- The opportunity to progress onto a further chartership
Where can this career take me? On completing your graduate program, you may have the option to progress onto a further qualification or training to aid your development. Further career opportunities may lead to BIM Co-ordinator, BIM Manager or roles within leadership. The skills learnt during this apprenticeship are highly transferable.
- Competitive Salary
- 25 days holiday + Bank Holidays
- A range of company initiatives (to opt in to) including; Bupa, Cycle to work scheme, Health Assessments, Free eye test
- Employer Assistance Programme - 24/7 support service
- Employer pension scheme (with up to 10% matched contribution)
You’ll be a welcomed member of the wider team, with opportunities to take on additional responsibility, join one of our networks for women, military or LGBT+ staff, and participate in cultural and social events with the local community (e.g. as a STEM ambassador).
Your personal and professional development is important to us. We welcome a discussion about how we can support you with further study, or professional membership or attainment for example.
It is expected that you will work to be a part of the wider project team, living by the programmes expected values.
Costain helps to improve people’s lives with integrated, leading edge, smart infrastructure solutions across the UK’s energy, water, transportation and defence markets. We help our clients improve their business performance by increasing capacity, improving customer service, safeguarding security, enhancing resilience, decarbonising and delivering increased efficiency. Our vision is to be the UK’s leading smart infrastructure solutions company. We will achieve this by focusing on blue chip clients whose major spending plans are underpinned by strategic national needs, regulatory commitments, legislation or essential performance requirements. We offer our clients leading edge solutions that are digitally optimised through the following five services which cover the whole lifecycle of their assets: future-shaping strategic consultancy; consultancy and advisory; digital technology solutions; asset optimisation and complex programme delivery. Our culture and values underpin everything we do.
At Costain we aim to be an accessible, diverse and inclusive organisation to continue to meet our customers’ needs. We will be industry leading in our approach and people from all backgrounds will be proud to work for Costain. Our goal is to have a workforce that is representative of society.
Should you require any adjustments to support you in your application, please do not hesitate to contact us: email@example.com
We will consider all applicants regardless of age, race, faith and socioeconomic background, including those from marginalised groups, such as (but not exclusive to):
- People who identify as LGBT+, including non-binary people
- People with physical or neurological disabilities
- People who have mental ill health
We welcome you to ask about the flexibility you need for dynamic working, such as, working part-time, remote working, or compressed hours. In return, we will explore what is possible