Materials Engineer Metallurgist Placement Daventry 2024
We believe in flexibility for you to explore your passions while making an impact through meaningful work within our inclusive workforce. That’s what #LifeAtCummins is all about.
We are looking for an enthusiastic Material Engineering student to join our team specializing in Quality for our Power Systems Business Segment in Daventry. This is a full-time, role working Monday to Friday 37.5hrs per week. During your placement with us, you will learn how a major global organization operates, gaining the tools and exposure you will need to become an expert in the industry and power your potential!
What you'll do
In this role, you will make an impact in the following ways:
- Working within the Quality Department reporting to the Materials Laboratory Supervisor
- Liaise with Quality, Engineering and Production Teams on metallurgical issues affecting the Plant
- Carry out metallurgical investigations and write reports on engine components to help support root cause failure analysis and drive corrective actions
- Support the Quality Test and Quality Customer Teams with problem solving relating to Engine Testing and Customer Quality Issues
- Contribute to smooth running of laboratory by ordering consumables and sub-contract work, and continuous improvements to lab processes and housekeeping
- Engage in Health and Safety initiatives related to the Laboratory such as Risk Assessments
What you'll need
To be successful in this role you will need the following:
- Studying towards a Engineering Degree or equivalent in Metallurgy or Materials Engineering
- General knowledge of physical metallurgy, ferrous and non-ferrous metallurgy, and processes such as steel making, casting, forging, heat treatment, welding and joining
- Experience of using a SEM would be beneficial but not mandatory as training will be provided
- Have a can-do attitude, sound analytical capabilities, and preferably have some practical Laboratory experience, with good organisational and communication skills
Working at Cummins
At Cummins, we are dedicated to diversity in the workplace and our policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified persons without regard to race, gender, color, disability, national origin, age, religion, union affiliation, sexual orientation, veteran status, citizenship, gender identity, and/or expression or other status protected by law.