Science & Engineering Innovation Year in Industry (Chemistry/Chemical Engineering) Bristol 2024
Empowering people and enabling solutions for a more sustainable future
If you’re passionate about science and engineering and want to get a head start in your career, then a Year in Industry placement at Edwards could be for you!
We’re looking for outstanding students, with questions that go beyond textbooks. The world of vacuum and abatement is full of opportunities and we can’t wait for you to explore it with us.
We create some of the purest vacuum environments on earth for widescale use in industry and research. We take pride in our globally recognised position as the primary technology partner and supplier of vacuum and environmental solutions that support our customers productivity and environmental targets. Our caring culture and cutting-edge technology enable us to innovate for a sustainable future, and we believe that passionate people make it happen.
One of our greatest strengths is the diversity of our workforce with people of all educational and cultural backgrounds working together. We believe that talent and diversity is the key to success and that everybody should feel valued and able to reach their full potential, both in their development and their contribution to the business.
What is our Year in Industry programme all about?
Vacuum is one of the hidden secrets behind many of the products you rely on every day. Edwards’ products enable scientific research, food preservation and the manufacture of smart devices as well as preventing the release of hazardous gases into the environment. It’s a fast-moving market with new applications emerging all the time, so we’re looking for bright, innovative and passionate people to join us.
Our Year in Industry programme provides students who are undertaking a relevant Engineering or Science degree at University the opportunity of working in a global R&D function. You could be working in our labs developing new concepts and sustainable innovations for our customers, or researching new breakthrough technologies for our vacuum solutions. It’s an amazing insight into life inside an organisation that is growing and developing at an incredible rate. The paid placement lasts for 12 months and is an exciting development opportunity in the field of science and engineering innovation. Here you can put the theory you have learnt in an academic environment into a practical application in the workplace.
You will be part of a specialist team responsible for developing and validating new technologies and strategies for vacuum pumps, abatement technology and the wider business. The work could include technology evaluation, proof of concept solution development, testing and demonstration in the lab, writing test reports, creating procedures, participating in team meetings and supporting engineering activities in the office.
You'll have regular progress reviews which give you invaluable developmental feedback. High performing individuals on the Year in Industry placement may be offered a position on the corresponding Graduate programme following your final year at University.
As part of our team, you'll be
- Growing skills and experience in a technical environment enabling you to gain valuable business knowledge and delivering important innovation projects.
- Experiencing working within a truly global multidisciplinary organisation.
- Learning vacuum and abatement science and understanding our customers applications.
- Developing new innovative technologies and solutions for deployment in future products.
- Using advanced simulation tools to optimise product design and application solutions.
- Designing, testing and evaluating solutions and making suggestions for improvements.
- Writing technical reports and presenting results to team members and project sponsors.
- Gaining exposure to Intellectual Property, Engineering Processes and other disciplines.
- Taking ownership and responsibility for your own learning and development.
- Actively involved in the Early Careers community; you will also support the promotional activities for our Early Careers programmes.
You will be based in one of our global manufacturing sites in Clevedon, near the vibrant city of Bristol in Somerset.
To succeed, you will need
- To be in your penultimate year of your undergraduate studies at University working towards a degree, achieveing an average of 2.1 or above in either Chemistry or Chemical Engineering.
- A genuine passion for working in a Scientific/Technical environment, with the ability to work with clients and internal stakeholders.
- Good understanding of the foundations of chemical engineering and/or chemistry and ability to implement them to solve practical problems.
- Curiosity, creativity and commitment to push the forefront of technology.
- Drive and desire to achieve professional accreditation.
- Good communication skills, with the ability to work effectively as part of a specialist team.
- Ability to apply technical knowledge to analyse problems and develop innovative solutions.
- A keen interest in researching and developing solutions across a wide technology arena, utilising advances in engineering, science, software and digital technology.
In return, we offer
We offer a competitive salary along with a robust development opportunity, including online learning modules and on the job technical training. Our Early Careers Community provides you with a network of peers in a similar stage of their careers and on-site we offer various health and wellbeing initiatives along with continuous support and coaching.
Edwards is a leading developer and manufacturer of sophisticated vacuum products, exhaust management systems and related value-added services. Edwards solutions are integral to manufacturing processes for semiconductors, flat panel displays, LEDs and solar cells. They are also used within an increasingly diverse range of industrial processes including power, glass and other coating applications; steel and other metallurgy; pharmaceutical and chemical; and for scientific instruments in a wide range of R&D applications.
Edwards has over 4,000 employees worldwide engaged in the design, manufacture and support of high technology vacuum and exhaust management equipment. Edwards has state-of-the-art manufacturing facilities in Europe, Asia and North America.