Trainee Investment Consultant Placement 2024
First Actuarial has been around since 2004, when a small group of like-minded actuaries came together to bring fresh thinking to pensions consultancy. Two decades later, we’re heading for 20% revenue growth this year, employing around 425 people across five locations.
We’re still an independent business with no chargeable hours targets, giving our people the time to deliver their best work and excel. We shape our high-quality services by listening closely to our clients’ needs. And we price those services fairly.
As we develop our business, prospects for our people grow. Our Basingstoke, Leeds, Manchester, Peterborough and Tonbridge offices provide supportive work environments where everyone can make a difference. We enjoy work and celebrate our successes. And we provide support and helpful feedback so we all learn and improve.
We love numbers, but we love people more. Staff wellbeing and work-life balance have always been core values. Beyond the firm, we’re known for our integrity. We’re happy to challenge conventional thinking and speak up. Our pioneering work is set to transform the lives of millions of younger people with a new type of pension.
Investment Consultant Year Placement
We are looking to take on a university student for a year placement to join our growing Investment Consultancy team from September 2024 to August 2025 (although July 2024 to June 2025 is also an option). This role will be based is available in our Leeds, Basingstoke, or Tonbridge office.
We ask our employees to commit to us and we give you lots in return. In addition to a competitive salary, private medical and PHI insurance, and a non-contributory pension, you:
- will experience on the job real time learning, having exposure to the investments and pension industry whilst being fully supported in your training and development throughout your internship
- will enjoy an informal working environment and casual dress policy
- will join a friendly and supportive team will be given autonomy and responsibility so you can concentrate on producing high quality work
- can choose to work in a hybrid-style (combining office and home working) after an initial period of spending more time in the office
- will have flexibility around your daily working hours to fit with your work-life balance
You will be responsible for supporting Investment Analysts on a variety of tasks from client reporting to providing clear communications and advice. Keeping up to date with the latest investment market developments, pensions news and legislation is an essential part of delivering our services. You’ll be responsible for assisting the Investment Analysts and Investment Consultants with the following:
Investment performance monitoring and measurement Investment manager and fund research Meeting deadlines and requirements on a portfolio of pension schemes Modelling various investment strategies Ensuring asset transitions happen smoothly Drafting standard and bespoke communications and reports including calculations Supporting investment analysts and consultants directly in all aspects of their work
We like to challenge conventional thinking and would be able to give you lots of responsibility and a variety of work from day one.
"I joined First Actuarial as a Graduate in the Investment Team in 2022, having done an internship the summer before as well, and my experience has been fantastic. The team has a very tight-knit feel and everyone is invested in your progression and development, all the way down from the senior management to your line manager and peers. Joining as a graduate you very quickly get exposure to clients and are encouraged to take responsibility early on. The work we do in the Investment Team is incredibly varied and engaging and I would encourage anyone to apply to experience it for themselves."
Edward Winstanley, Investment Analyst, First Actuarial
We are looking for the right people to fit our business
First-rate numerical skills and a strong academic performance, with at least a prediction of a 2:1 degree in a numerical subject (e.g. Maths or Economics), as well as the following skills:
- Communication – be an excellent communicator who understands how to express complicated ideas in a concise and clear way, and the ability to develop your communication approach.
- Characteristics – a can do, enthusiastic approach to tackling problems, and a desire to build positive relationships with your colleagues and clients.
- Self-discipline – determined and motivated to meet the demands of studying and working full time.
- Problem solving – an agile mind able to examine challenges from various aspects.
What we offer you
We’ll actively support you as you build your career – and reward you for doing so. At every level of seniority, we offer:
- A competitive remuneration package, including bonus and profit-sharing payments
- Private health insurance, life insurance and income protection insurance
- A non-contributory pension
- Full training and study support.
Our year placements develop a broad, transferable skillset which covers both technical and consulting areas. You will have opportunities to work on a range of projects, including non-traditional investment ones, and to develop broad business-critical skills.
All year placements are office-based for the first few months, thereafter, for colleagues who prefer homeworking for part of the week, we have hybrid working in place. We’re also flexible on working day arrangements and will happily accommodate a range of personal commitments from day one.
Our straightforward approach to recruitment which involves role-specific tests as well as interviews and a short presentation, ensures equal opportunities for all applicants.
Should you require information in a different format, have other accessibility or reasonable adjustment requirements, or if you have any problems not listed on this page, please contact HRHelpdesk@firstactuarial.co.uk.
Please note that we can only accept applications from candidates with a permanent right to work in the UK.