Maritime Placement Year 2024
Frazer-Nash are a leading engineering, systems and technology consultancy. Through our meaningful innovations, our experts help organisations make lives safe, secure, sustainable and affordable.
In a nutshell, engineering consultancy is all about providing advice to positively impact our clients’ projects and businesses and the wider world around us.
Frazer-Nash embraces diversity, innovation, collaboration, and fulfilment as key elements of our inclusive culture. These themes underpin our continued success; helping us achieve sustainable business growth and providing ample opportunities for our people to develop their careers and to do things that really matter in the world.
We have a comprehensive Early Careers package that will help you successfully integrate into our business and meet new colleagues from across the organisation – last year we had over 100 Graduates, interns and summer placements and we are looking for a similar sized cohort this year so you will be joining with a large and vibrant peer group.
As a Maritime Placement Student you will have the opportunity to join one of several teams that serve clients across Defence, the Royal Navy and the Commercial Marine industry:
- Naval Assurance (Bristol)
- Marine Technology (Bristol)
- Naval Radiological and Protection Assurance (Plymouth)
- Naval Nuclear Assurance (Plymouth)
Some examples of the projects that our teams have been working on during the last year include:
- Conducting a safety hazard analysis to inform the design of a future attack submarine.
- Undertaking a functional safety assessment of several CO2 firefighting system design options for a commercial cruise shipping company.
- Exploring options for the Royal Navy’s adoption of future fuels across the surface fleet with a focus on the achievement of Net Zero.
At Frazer-Nash we understand each person is unique and it is our aim to help guide you into the team and business area that is the best fit for you. So, if you have a strong desire or interest for a particular team or location described above, please let us know within your covering letter and application.
We are interested in hearing from ambitious, dynamic, high calibre students who share our vision and want to kick start their career in the maritime sector.
Whilst not exclusive for this role, the following are some of the degree courses that we have identified as of particular interest to us:
- Naval Architecture
- Marine Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Ship Science
To work effectively in a consultancy environment, we are looking for individuals who can become:
- A team player: with the ability to work effectively with others.
- A problem solver: with the ability to critically question what you see, overcome technical challenges and think outside the box.
- An effective communicator: with the ability to provide coherent professional advice, both verbal and written.
- A self-starter: we want you to show initiative and the willingness to take on new challenges.
- A multi-tasker: with the ability to manage your own time to juggle competing demands to meet challenging deadlines.
- Enthusiasm: We want you to share our passion for engineering within the maritime sector.
As a minimum requirement, you will need to be working towards a 2:1 Bachelor's Or Master's Degree.
We want to learn as much about what interests you as possible, so please share with us any academic or personal achievements you think we’d like to hear about.
Due to the nature of the work that Frazer-Nash Consultancy undertake, candidates will be required to undergo pre-employment screening and must be able to satisfy clearance criteria for UK National Security Vetting.
Our Recruitment Process
Step 1: Application - CV submission
Step 2: Measure Potential - Arctic Shores’ task-based assessment. You will be asked to complete some exciting, engaging tasks which will help us get to know you better! In return, you’ll receive a personalised feedback report.
Step 3: Video Interview - Situation based & technical questions that are related to the important criteria needed to be successful on the role.
Step 4: Final Stage Interview - This includes a final stage interview with opportunity to learn more about what we do.
Step 5: Decision/Feedback - You will receive feedback even if we do not make the decision to offer you the job or progress you to the next stage.
Here's what we offer
- The opportunity to join and learn with a team that’s as driven as they are supportive.
- A competitive salary: [£23,500 pro rata]
- 25 days holiday (pro rata)
- A company that has its heart in the right place and a welcoming work culture.
- Hybrid working with flexibility around life outside of work.
- Company pension scheme.
- Private healthcare membership + wellbeing support.
- Bonus scheme linked into company performance.
- Support and mentoring during your placement year.
- Opportunity to fast track onto our graduate programme.
- Early career teams and office socials.
And a whole host more...
Individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply, as we believe that diversity and inclusion are fundamental to creating a dynamic and thriving workplace culture.