Technology Placement Year London 2024
G-Research is Europe’s leading quantitative finance research firm. We hire the brightest minds in the world to tackle some of the biggest questions in finance. We pair this expertise with machine learning, big data, and some of the most advanced technology available to predict movements in financial markets.
- 15th July 2024
- 09:00 – 17:30 working hours
- Based in Central London
This is an exciting opportunity for a student studying for a Computer Science, Computer Systems, Cyber Security or Networks-related degree to join our Technical Support team as part of a placement year in industry.
The successful candidate will be part of a team that deals with a large range of technologies in a fast-paced environment across multiple sites, primarily based in London.
You will sit within our Corporate IT group and become a crucial member of the Technical Support team, troubleshooting, advising, and providing support services to a range of stakeholders, including senior leaders.
You will work alongside a mentor and experienced members of the team, who will provide continuous support and guidance, enabling you to learn rapidly and contribute effectively to the business.
You will work predominantly in Windows, but there will be some Linux systems support.
Key responsibilities of the role include:
- Managing Active Directory, including machine access changes and other various authorisation controls
- Managing mobile devices, including enrolling users on corporate mobile devices or BYOD profiles
- Creating, using and updating scripts, in particular with PowerShell, to automate daily tasks
- IT troubleshooting
- Networking fundamentals, including working on connectivity issues on workstations and servers
- Working on enterprise architecture, troubleshooting user mailboxes, setting up public folders, creating and updating distribution groups and security groups
Who are we looking for
The successful candidate will be studying for a technology degree in a subject such as Computer Science, Computer Systems, Cyber Security or Networks, with a sandwich year, and be due to graduate in 2026.
You will have a real interest in IT and an aptitude for applying computing concepts and skills to solve real problems.
The ideal candidate will have the following skills and experience:
- A passion for technology
- Be highly organised and motivated
- Have an enthusiasm for learning
- Excellent customer service skills, with a strong technical and methodical approach to any given task
- A predicted grade of a 2:1 or above
Successful applicants at the CV review stage will be invited to sit a technical test. If you pass, you will take part in an assessment centre, followed by mentor interviews.
Please note, due to our desire to convert the top of our intern cohort into our graduate programme we are only able to consider applications from those graduating in 2025. We will respond to applications from September, and begin interviewing in October.
Why should you apply
- Highly competitive compensation
- Lunch provided (via Just Eat for Business) and dedicated barista bar
- 30 days’ annual leave
- 9% company pension contributions
- Informal dress code and excellent work/life balance
- Comprehensive healthcare and life assurance
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Monthly company events
G-Research is committed to cultivating and preserving an inclusive work environment. We are an ideas-driven business and we place great value on diversity of experience and opinions.
We want to ensure that applicants receive a recruitment experience that enables them to perform at their best. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation please let us know in the relevant section.