Process Improvement Placement Cardiff 2024
In the 12-month Process Improvement Placement, you'll gain invaluable skills and experiences working closely with Operations to deliver several cost-out projects driving value for the business whilst gaining vital Lean and Project Management skills.
During your time at GE Wales, you’ll be aligned to a cell or business area, where you’ll own the relevant performance metrics and be accountable for identifying projects that deliver real business results.
At GE Aerospace, we believe the world works better when it flies. We are a world-leading provider of jet engines, components, and integrated systems for commercial and military aircraft.
Our rich history of inventing the future of flight, our continual investment in research and development, and our talented and innovative people will enable us to rise to the challenge of building a world that works with industry-leading technology and innovation. In fact, we’re already developing our next-generation of technologies to achieve greater fuel efficiency and reduce CO2 emissions with an ambition to be a net-zero company by 2050.
Working at GE Aerospace means you are bringing your unique perspective, innovative spirit, drive, curiosity, and ability to question the status quo to a collaborative and diverse team. It means you will have ideas and we will listen. Here, you will have the opportunity to work on really cool things with really smart people. Work that you will be proud of. Work that really matters.
Here are just a few of the reasons you will want to consider a career with us:
- You will help solve the global challenge of how the world flies more sustainably. Do work real work with a real purpose.
- Be a part of a global workforce of diverse backgrounds, perspectives, ideas, and experiences where everyone feels supported and respected.
- Learn from the best minds who also want to learn from you.
- Earn merit-based rewards and incentives.
- Have opportunities for continuous learning and development.
Roles and responsibilities
On joining, we’ll provide you with the tools and training you need to ensure you can:
- Work with the Lean department and local teams to develop, define and identify performance improvement for the customer & Aircraft Engineers in localised areas of the business.
- Develop, Learn and Deploy Value Stream Mapping, Process Mapping, 5 Why, Impact /output matrix, countermeasure tools and many other Lean foundational skills to support business and localised goals.
- Develop and Deploy Problem Solving techniques to help identify root cause with both short- and long-term countermeasures supported by local Operations teams and the Lean Department.
- Identify and execute Projects including the opportunity to participate or Lead Kaizen activities to drive sustainable improvement.
- Become an active Focal for the local teams supporting the communication and elimination of Waste within processes to improve the daily tasks for the Operator and return performance improvement to the Cell Key KPI’s (Key performance indicators)
You will be guided by structured goals and objectives and will have responsibility to deliver on inspiring projects supported by your People Leader and team around you. We will guide you throughout the year to ensure you make the best of your GE Aerospace experience. Your People Leader will offer coaching and mentoring, and you will be provided with the opportunity to connect with other placement students across the UK.
This opportunity is offered at our Wales site.
More about us
GE Aerospace Wales specialises in the maintenance, repair and overhaul of a range of commercial jet engines. The facility, based in Nantgarw, just north of Cardiff, occupies over 1.2 million square foot of workshop space and has two state-of-the-art aircraft engine test facilities, along with a significant repair capability – known as Component Repair Wales.
The site has the capability to provide maintenance, repair and overhaul services for a range of engine types – including the world’s most powerful commercial aircraft engine the GE90-115B and the world’s most popular commercial engine the CFM56.
As one of the largest commercial aircraft engine maintenance facilities in the world, with annual sales of over $2bn, the business works with over 90 customers worldwide, including Emirates, TUI, Lufthansa, Delta, United, ANA and British Airways.
In 2017, the Wales site was selected as the Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul facility of choice for the GE9X; which will become the world’s largest and most fuel-efficient jet engine when it launches into service. The business will benefit from a £5m investment from the Welsh Government to support the total £20m investment put forward by the business, to equip and upskill the facility to be ready to maintain the GE9X fleet when it enters service on the new Boeing 777X aircraft.
The Wales team places a strong focus on providing career opportunities for talented individuals. Our apprenticeship, internship and work experience opportunities have been built to ensure the long-term success of our business by developing the next generation of technical, engineering and problem-solving talent.
Qualifications & requirements
- Currently studying or recently achieved a relevant Engineering bachelor’s or master’s degree (e.g. Aerospace, Mechanical, Electrical Engineering)
- On course or achieved a 2:1 degree
- Able to roll up your sleeves and get involved in projects
- Organised & able to work towards deadlines
- Inspired and curious to learn
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Able to take ownership for projects
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Able to work as part of a team
A placement at GE Aerospace is an opportunity to learn while doing. At GE Aerospace, you’ll work with business leaders in an atmosphere that will develop you, while doing work that makes an immediate impact.
- All placements are available to students and recent graduates who can start a placement between June to August 2024, for a duration of 12 months.
- Application deadline is 31st December 2023. However, we review applications on a rolling basis and encourage you to apply ASAP. Vacancies will close once filled.
- The selection stages include online assessments with video interview and a final round interview.
- Please only submit one application. If you submit multiple applications, we will progress the most suitable one. If in future you are deemed to be suitable for other opportunities, we will automatically consider you for these too.
At GE Aerospace we understand the importance of Total Reward. Our flexible benefits plan, called FlexChoice, gives you freedom, choice and flexibility in the way you receive your benefits, as well as giving you the opportunity to make savings where possible.
As a new joiner to GE Aerospace we are pleased to be able to offer you the following as default in your benefit fund, which you then can tailor to meet your individual needs;
- Performance based annual bonus
- Non-contributory Pension
- Life Assurance
- Group income protection
- Private medical cover
- Holiday Hourly equivalent of 26 days, with flexible option to buy or sell
Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) clearance is required and must be maintained for this role. Please note that in the event that BPSS clearance cannot be obtained, you may not be eligible for the role and/or any offer of employment may be withdrawn on grounds of national security.
Right to work
Applications from job seekers who require sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. However, under the applicable UK immigration rules as may be in place from time to time, it may be that candidates who do not currently have the right to work in the UK may not be appointed to a post if a suitably qualified, experienced and skilled candidate who does not require sponsorship is available to take up the post.