Product Design Engineer Industrial Placement Maidenhead July 2024
Hello. We’re Haleon. A new world-leading consumer healthcare company. Shaped by all of us. Together, we’re improving everyday health for millions of people. By growing and innovating our global portfolio of category-leading brands – including Sensodyne, Panadol, Advil, Voltaren, Theraflu, Otrivin, and Centrum – through a unique combination of deep human understanding and trusted science. What’s more, we’re achieving it in a company that we’re building together. In an environment that we’re co-creating. And a culture that’s uniquely ours. Care to join us. It isn’t a question.
Future Talent roles at Haleon offer the chance to change the way people see and manage their everyday health. That’s an incredible opportunity. An exciting challenge. And a huge responsibility. We’re always looking for ambitious individuals who are inspired by our purpose to deliver better everyday health, with humanity. And want to help us achieve this goal. Right now we’re looking for placement students in Product design Engineering to join us to do career defining work.
A career in Product design engineering where none of us stand still
At Maidenhead, we proudly manufacture several well-known brands including Sensodyne, Aquafresh and Corsodyl. Producing 5 million units of toothpaste and mouthwash a week, we supply to 100 global markets. We ensure that our consumers get the product when they need it most, at the right quality and the right price.
The Technical Department’s purpose is to launch new products developed by R&D, and drive improvements in our existing product portfolio. You will get hands on experience working with the Technical Packaging Experts to develop new packaging solutions for new products and make changes to existing products to improve sustainability and operating efficiency. You will also work with the Engineering and Operations teams and equipment suppliers to design and implement technical solutions and new equipment to produce our products in the safest and most efficient way. We are a fast paced factory and our customers needs are changing. You will design and implement real world solutions for innovative products and you will see those projects deliver within your placement.
What will your individual contribution at Haleon be?
During your 12 months with us, you’ll gain experience in the following areas:
- Packaging design
- Project management and planning
- Continuous improvement methodology
- Leading root cause analysis investigations to understand day-to-day factory issues and identify and implement solutions
- Interacting with equipment suppliers to design and implement technical solutions
- Developing and presenting business cases for your designs
- Safe and efficient running of high speed filling and packing lines and palletisation processes
Throughout this role, you will be applying the skills you already have and develop new skills such as: team working, effective communication and time management.
You will work with and learn from an experienced team of multi-disciplined packaging and engineering experts. They will coach and mentor you during your year to help you achieve your potential.
- Using problem solving techniques to understand and resolve production problems due to packaging-equipment interactions
- Work with our suppliers to resolve problems with current components to ensure our customers get the best quality products and our operations run as efficiently as possible
- Support the development and design of new packaging materials for New Product Innovations
- Work with new and existing equipment suppliers to identify solutions to address real business challenges
- Packaging Sustainability – understanding the impact of our current components and helping to redesign our products to eliminate single use plastics, reduce waste and improve recyclability
- Own smaller projects, be part of a team and manage progressively larger projects (supported by colleagues)
- Conduct trials or validation for new components to test them on our production equipment
- Management of key engineering project activities relating to new packaging projects: equipment specification, installation and commissioning. This will involve working with and coordinating suppliers, contractors and integrators.
- Looking at ways we can continuously improve our packaging and our filling and packaging processes to reduce cost, improve operating efficiency and add value to our customers
You’ll be excited by the thought of
- Being part of a new Consumer Healthcare organisation
- Learning technical packaging and engineering skills from our experts
- Working independently and as part of cross-functional teams on site and with R&D at the company headquarters in Weybridge.
- Solving problems and making improvements in real life FMCG production and seeing your work having an immediate impact
- Building your knowledge, business sense and customer relationship skills
- Improving sustainability to reduce our environmental impact
- Being creative in terms of product and equipment design
- Working in a fast-paced environment where no two days will be the same and you can rapidly see your work and ideas implemented in the factory and on the supermarket shelf
- Using new technologies e.g. 3D printing to develop innovative solutions
What we offer
To recognise your dedication, energy and effort, benefits include:
- A salary of £22,500
- On-the-job experience and formal and informal training and development, delivered through a mixture of coaching, mentoring and formal training programmes
- Health and wellbeing programmes to take care of your physical and mental health
Who you are
We’re the people changing the future of everyday health. So you will be someone who has:
- A passion for Product Design and Engineering in a consumer healthcare manufacturing environment
- Attention to detail
- Drive to get things done
- Team player
- Continuous improvement mindset
- A willingness to be hands-on and get involved
- Strong digital skills
- Able to demonstrate qualities aligned with Haleon
- Creative, practical and problem-solving thinking
- Entrepreneurial and agile mindset
- Strong prioritisation and analytical skills
- Personal accountability
- Adaptability and resilience in ambiguity
- A desire to learn and have meaningful impact
To enable you to perform in this future talent opportunity
Education required: Must be on track for a 2.1 (or above) in a Product Design Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or related engineering undergraduate degree. You will usually have completed 2 years of your undergraduate degree but will not have graduated at the start of your placement. You will be expected to provide evidence from your university to show you will be an undergraduate student for the duration of the placement year