Junior Writer/Editorial Assistant (Inside Soap) London 2024
Reporting to the Executive Editor you will writing features for Inside Soap. You will be interviewing actors and production staff as well as packaging features with suitable pictures ready for design.
You will also be supporting the editorial team with key admin duties, including but not limited to: transcription, travel booking, running competitions, dealing with reader correspondence.
About the role
- Develop features for Inside Soap, as directed by the editor and team.
- Write the weekly Soapbox, Hot List and What Happens When features.
- Working quickly, creatively, and accurately to meet deadlines.
- Building contacts and relationships with organisations and individuals to create distinctive content.
- Ensure the smooth running of the editorial office.
- Conduct interviews for several features per week; transcribing and then writing up composite features for the magazine.
- Writing for the Inside Soap website and social media.
- Filing soap news stories/storylines.
- Making travel arrangements for photo shoots.
- Distributing post.
- Replying to reader correspondence.
- Updating file listing contents of each issue.
- Sending out prizes to competition winners.
- Processing cash prizes for competition winners.
- Proven experience writing for a magazine
- Confident and accurate writing style
- Deep knowledge of TV and soaps in particular
- Established contacts within the soap industry.
- Excellent InDesign skills.
- Meticulous and hyper-organised with exceptional time management skills
- Excellent inter-personal skills
- Ability to use and act upon own initiative
- Ability to work to a tight deadline and deal with challenges calmly and efficiently
An enthusiasm for soaps is essential. Apply with a CV plus covering letter, telling us about your favourite current soap character and what you like best about them.
What we offer
At Hearst UK, you can choose from a huge range of perks and benefits that can help you learn well, work well and live well including:
- 25 days’ holiday (with the option to buy up to 5 additional holiday days)
- Hybrid working – Three days per week in the office
- Discounted gym membership
- Healthcare cash plan
- Spend a charity day with your favourite good cause
- Life assurance and pension scheme
- Regular socials and more!
There’s more to your story than you imagine. And the next chapter begins right here.
Hearst UK is deeply committed to using our influential brands to reflect the world we want to live in – one that respects, protects, represents and uplifts the voices and opinions of all people. As a business, we recognise the significant benefits of creativity, collaboration and innovation that comes with diverse teams.
Not only is diversifying the voices in our organization the right thing to do, but it also helps us to make powerful and exciting content that can be enjoyed by many more people. This is why we’re working to build a sense of true belonging within our business and foster a culture in which everyone feels heard.