Financial Sponsors Group 6 Month Internship
Houlihan Lokey (NYSE:HLI) is a global investment bank with expertise in Mergers and Acquisitions, Capital Markets, Financial Restructuring, and Valuation. The firm serves corporations, institutions, and governments worldwide with offices in the United States, Europe, the Middle East, and the Asia-Pacific region. Independent advice and intellectual rigor are hallmarks of the firm’s commitment to client success across its advisory services.
Houlihan Lokey is the No. 1 M&A advisor for the past five consecutive years in the U.S., the No. 1 global restructuring advisor for the past six consecutive years, and the No. 1 global M&A fairness opinion advisor over the past 20 years, all based on number of transactions and according to data provided by Refinitiv (formerly Thomson Reuters).
Financial Sponsor Coverage Group
Houlihan Lokey’s Financial Sponsor Coverage Group is one of the broadest and deepest in the world, with 20 senior bankers dedicated to the Financial Sponsor community. Our international team provides coverage to more than 900 Private Equity firms, 250 Hedge Funds, and 125 Family Offices worldwide. The group’s mandate is to provide best-in-class advice to Private Equity firms, Hedge Funds and other sources of Alternative Capital on mergers and acquisitions, valuations and capital structures, and has worked on more than 1,000 sponsor-related engagements with over 700 sponsors in 2019.
Our clients value our independence, analytical rigor and transaction expertise in various advisory functions, including:
- Selling companies for and to Financial Sponsors
- Arranging debt and equity financings for Financial Sponsor portfolio companies
- Advising on complex financial restructurings and liability management issues
- Rendering fairness and solvency opinions for the boards of directors of portfolio companies
As an Intern, you will have the opportunity to work with experienced senior coverage officers both to provide business unit analytics and coverage officer support on client initiatives.
Coverage officer support includes working closely with M&A sector and restructuring deal teams to coordinate advisory pitches, new deal introductions to our group, attending internal and external meetings and conference calls and preparing ad hoc reports, analyses, and marketing materials.
The environment at Houlihan Lokey is collegiate and entrepreneurial and rewards Financial Analysts with substantial responsibility and interaction with senior-level professionals. Financial Analysts can expect meaningful personal interaction one-on-one with Managing Directors and other senior-level bankers.
The ideal candidate would possess qualities and background including:
- Strong academic track record; you will have achieved or be on track to achieve a 2:1 or higher (or equivalent)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
- Strong quantitative, financial and analytical skills
- A demonstrated interest in Financial Sponsors
- Investment banking experience within either an M&A, generalist or Industry team or within Private Equity
- Self-motivation and the ability to work cooperatively with all levels of staff in a fast-paced, demanding, but ultimately rewarding environment
- An understanding of valuation theory, methodologies and applications
- Strong Excel modelling skills, including LBO and DCF
- An exceptionally strong work ethic