Claims Handler – Legal, Technical & Claims
Are you looking to join a rapidly growing diverse group, alongside like-minded people who want to challenge the status quo? Do you want to start your career in an independent business with a uniquely creative culture, controlled by the people who work for it? How would you like to become a part of a business which has shared values, an encouraging culture, and a vision to succeed?
Howden Group is made up of more than 8000 people in over 40 territories who are working together to build something different in insurance. Founded by 3 men and a dog, Howden Group has always been employee-owned and driven by an ambitious, driven, and entrepreneurial way of thinking.
People come to Howden Group for lots of different reasons, but they stay for the same one: our culture! That’s what sets us apart, and why we nurture and retain the best talent in the market. Whatever your priorities – work/life balance, career progression, sustainability, or volunteering opportunities - you’ll find like-minded people inspiring change at Howden Group.
What will you be doing?
The nature of the Legal, Technical & Claims role is that it crosses between and supports various business units, allowing you to both have involvement in both high-profile claims and client tenders, and also develop an understanding of the insurance broking business across the Financial Lines division. The key areas of focus are:
- Claims advocacy – You will be handling your own claims as well as assisting others on more complex and challenging matters for nominated clients. We need you to approach claims handling on an “added value” basis, applying your legal expertise in providing advice to the clients on coverage issues and other technical matters, preparing substantive notifications, proactively managing the flow of information (including challenging insurers as appropriate) and taking a strategic approach to claims resolution.
- Legal and technical support – You’ll act as a legal and technical expert for the broader placing team, in particular:
- assisting in the development of base form policy wordings and drafting and negotiating bespoke solutions to client’s or broker’s issues;
- working with the broader team on new business pitches, including review of policy wordings and technical analysis to supplement market information; and
- assisting in preparation of thought-leadership articles, seminars, internal training sessions and claims data offerings.
- This role offers significant opportunity for you to become a subject matter expert on specific coverage areas (for example cyber insurance) and/or technical issues. It also provides you the opportunity to develop your own contacts with others in the market, on both claims and technical sides, to assist with claims resolution and wordings negotiations.
- As a result, in addition to a legal background the ideal candidate will have excellent communication skills, become confident in explaining complex matters both clearly and simply, and be able to multi-task to tight deadlines. They will have excellent interpersonal skills, good commercial acumen, be organised and a team player, and be able to develop sustainable long-term relationships. Experience of working in the insurance environment in a claims or technical wordings role is helpful but not a necessity.
What is in it for you?
- Structured training and day to day support to develop your legal and insurance skill-set and learn how the insurance market operates
- Tailored training to develop your client skills and commercial awareness
- 25 days holiday
- Discretionary annual bonus
- Benefits including: Private medical insurance, Cycle to Work scheme, Tech vouchers, charitable giving, Gym memberships, and many more
What do we need from you?
- A degree (or equivalent) in any legal subject, level 2:1 or above, completed by September 2020 and within the past 4 years.
- Strong communication skills, being confident in explaining complex matters clearly and simply
- You’ll need to be able to develop sustainable long-term relationships both internally and externally
- A strong drive with a commercial mind-set
- Adaptability for working independently and as part of the team.
Process & Timelines
- Initial CV submission and application
- Online testing
- Shortlisting (w/c 23rd November)
- Assessment centre (w/c 7th December)
- Start date - mid-January