Graduate Research Executive (Employment, Welfare and Skills) London 2024
Ipsos Public Affairs are the leaders in social research and evaluation. Within the Employment, Welfare and Skills (EWS) specialism, you will be part of a team of researchers that work with clients across government to research and evaluate the policies and programmes that affect our everyday lives.
You will work with colleagues across Public Affairs to create effective research, produce findings in a clear, accessible format, and support clients to interpret the findings.
Some of the research questions the team have answered in 2023 include:
- What is people’s awareness, attitudes, and activity levels in relation to careers advice?
- What evidence is there that the National Insurance Contributions relief has encouraged employment of veterans and how the relief is used by employers?
- How does childcare availability and flexibility affect parents working atypical hours?
- How and why does an employment programme for young people with experience of the criminal justice system support people into work?
- What are the digital capabilities of benefit customers and how would they prefer to engage when accessing government services online?
About the role
Our EWS team is looking for a highly talented individual who is interested in being a part of a team whose research directly informs government policy. Our Graduate Research Executive will gain experience in research and project management processes and acquire the skills and confidence to apply this knowledge.
- Join client briefing calls/meetings to understand our client’s objectives, and update on project matters under supervision
- Prepare project plans and support other team members as required on the management of studies
- Work on all aspects of the project lifecycle, from initial set-up and scheduling, to liaising and negotiating with internal and external fieldwork suppliers, to delivery
- Develop questionnaires based on a client’s outline or objectives, challenge as required, advise on content and structure and best practice
- Be a point of contact for clients on project-related matters, taking a proactive approach to understand the client’s priorities and enhancing the relationship
- Understand and apply different sampling approaches and weighting processes effectively
- Check scripts and dummy data during project setup, develop code frames and table specifications
- Check topline data and reports, SPSS, tabulations and data on online portals
- Use story-telling skills to report data and findings
- Understand the importance of close financial management
- Have a genuine interest in social research and a desire to develop your career within a leading research company
- Have the desire to build strong relationships with clients, with a commitment to excellent client service
- Have excellent hands-on project management skills
- Have strong time management and organisational skills, able to effectively manage multiple projects simultaneously and work well under pressure
- Good communication skills and the ability to tailor to suit the specific audience or message
- Demonstrate meticulous attention to detail with a desire to produce the best outputs possible – taking ownership of tasks and ensure delivery
- Be self-motivated and confident with the ability to work independently when required
- Be a positive thinker with a can-do, solutions-focused attitude
- Have a high level of numeracy and adept user of Word, Excel, PowerPoint with knowledge of SPSS/Survey Reporter beneficial
Our Generation Ipsos programme provides a comprehensive foundation in research and how it’s practically applied in a commercial environment. You’ll be trained in client management, project management and the nitty-gritty of research including methodologies, sampling, weighting and ethics. You’ll learn through real life, hands-on experience, webinars, seminars and specialist workshops.
We’ll provide you with dedicated training designed to achieve the industry recognised Market Research Society (MRS) Advanced Certificate accreditation. Networking is a key skill, so we have Early Careers events with other Graduates, Placement Students, and Interns across the company.
Having a flexible working culture where we support our colleagues and celebrate our successes is important to us. We invest our time in you and you’ll benefit from working alongside our expert teams.
Your manager will help you set goals to achieve your personal objectives throughout the year and help you exceed these.
And the fun stuff
- 25 days’ holiday which increases by one day after every year of service until 30 days, plus an extra day for your birthday
- Annual summer and All Staff events
- Team socials, including Christmas parties
- Season ticket loan
- Future talent loan - an optional and interest-free loan of up to £1000 to help with any unexpected costs, so you can focus on having a great start to your career
- A huge variety of benefits e.g. pension contributions, income protection, winter flu jabs, eye care vouchers, online, high street discounts, volunteering days and Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) days.
- Opportunity to participate in and benefit from participation in our multiple Diversity and Inclusion ‘Belong’ groups, which bring together people with shared identities and interests to ensure that their voices are heard through the company and that Ipsos can continue to carry out research that is most representative of the UK and wider world today. (Our current – highly active – groups comprise: the Gender Balance Network, the Race, Ethnicity, and Cultural Heritage group, Ipsos Pride, Parent Network, Menopause Support Group, Neurodiversity Network, Carers Network, Disability and long-term health conditions, and the International Employees Network, and we are always open to creating more groups where they represent our people and our values).