Daytime Trainee Researcher
We connect with millions of people every day, make content they can't get enough of and reflect and shape the world we live in… and we do all this through the power of creativity.
We will be a digitally led entertainment and media company that creates and brings brilliant content to audiences, wherever, whenever and however they choose.
Business overview per Business Area
Are you full of ideas that you want to see on television? As part of the Development team for ITV Studios Daytime, this role will give the lucky candidate the opportunity to work on a slate of new unscripted ideas that will be pitched across broadcasters and genres. We make programmes that transmit across the schedule, from Daytime to Primetime - from landmark documentaries such as 'Alison Hammond: Back To School' and 'Coronation Street: 60 Unforgettable Years' to archive comedy shows 'Chefs' Burnt Bits' and 'Emmerdale Soapy Slip Ups', to weekend cookery hit 'John and Lisa's Weekend Kitchen'. From lifestyle and archive to doc/factual formats, specials and stripped events we are always on the lookout for unscripted ideas which can become formats in the factual entertainment genre - rooted in the 'now' and catering for viewers needs - to be engaged and entertained.
ITV Studios Daytime also works closely with various departments across the business at ITV including; News, Digital, Commercial, Programme Publicity, Business Affairs and the rest of ITV Studios. This is a great department to work in if you want to get a broad insight into a range of aspects of the company.
The ITV Production Training scheme is a 12 month fully paid programme for new entrants to TV. The aim is to home grow exceptional talent and give the training needed to kickstart a long and successful career in TV.
There will be placements with 11 ITV Production Companies both scripted and non scripted based across the UK. The Programme aims to attract candidates from backgrounds that are currently underrepresented in the industry, including those from a lower socio economic background, those from Black, Asian and minority ethnic communities and disabled people. We also welcome applicants who have some life experience, be that college, university, a few years of working already under their belt, with the maturity to make the most of this opportunity, and this opportunity is also open to those to whom the apprenticeships are closed (eg University graduates and anyone who has already done a media related qualification).
In general you will be tasked daily with being across wide-ranging media - press, social media as well as world and UK events and trends - looking for compelling, new and interesting themes, stories and ideas, and sharing these at regular meetings with the team.
- Researching ideas takes on different forms - using the internet,
- Sourcing stories, checking facts, sourcing stats, speaking to people and organisations, sourcing visuals - all with the goal of developing ideas into programmes which stand up to scrutiny.
- Writing - from toplines for new ideas, notes from research to more detailed versions of programme treatments.
- Bringing written treatments to life with eye catching presentations
- Sizzle/Taster tapes (which we use for selling ideas) - supporting with set up for any filming, sourcing archive, footage, music for any edits of sizzle reels
- A keen and active interest in the media - including TV and social media.
- Watches, listens, reads and consumes a variety of content, across all forms of broadcast and social media
- A creative and enquiring mind - the potential to spot ideas for programmes wherever you look: from Tik Tok to travelling on the bus
- An awareness of different programme genres - from daytime, lifestyle, entertainment, factual entertainment, documentaries and beyond.
- Possess and articulate opinion when discussing ideas
- Communication - a clear communicator who’s genuinely interested in people, with good people skills, and the confidence to discuss new ideas
- A confident writer, someone who enjoys expressing themselves in written form.
- Willingness to accept feedback and build on it as part of the development process
- Being nimble - we move quickly in development, so an ability to think quickly and react to an urgent deadline is key
- Passionate about storytelling, including your own personal stories: your life experience is extremely valuable in development!
- Imaginative and driven to embrace new skills.
- A team player - who’s reliable, proactive, organised, flexible and with good time management.
- Experience using IT Packages
- Basic editing skills
- Graphic design skills/ interest
To be considered for this opportunity you will need to demonstrate the following skills:
- Demonstrable interest in and awareness of a variety of programme genres - from daytime, lifestyle, entertainment, factual entertainment, documentaries and beyond.
- Watches, listens, reads and consumes a variety of content, across all forms of broadcast media and has clear opinions on what they like and don’t like, which they can explain.
- Previous work experience in a relevant industry i.e media or publishing
- Proven office word and computer experience
- GCSE result 4/5 (C/pass equivalent) in English