Graduate Bridge Engineer 2021
Our People & Places Solutions business – reinforces our drive to improve the lives of people everywhere and epitomizes the “why” of what we do – the tremendous positive impact and value our solutions bring to our communities and society as a whole. From facilities delivering life-saving therapies and ensuring clean water to enabling the connection of people through all modes of transportation and providing access to technology – we’re integrating a multitude of these solution elements to build the smart environments of tomorrow.
Start your Jacobs career with a company that inspires and empowers you to deliver your best work so you can evolve, grow and succeed – today and into tomorrow.
About the opportunity
At Jacobs, we’re transforming intangible ideas into innovative solutions designing the future – today. As a Graduate Bridge Engineer, you will too.
We are wishing to recruit engineering graduates to join our Transportation – Bridges & Structures Group.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a large, expanding, and diverse bridges design team, taking a technical supporting role in delivering bridge design services throughout all stages of major project development. You may be a recent graduate, or already have a year's experience, but the role will provide you with every opportunity to complete your training towards membership of a professional institution. As well as our ICE accredited training programme which will help you to achieve professional status, you will be supported by a trained mentor to complete our graduate portfolio.
As a Graduate Bridge Engineer you will be working on a variety of project types, sizes and complexities.
Responsibilities will include
- Preparation of bridge and bridge related structural scheme designs at feasibility, preliminary and detailed design stages
- Undertaking design or assessment calculations
- Supervising the production of design drawings, models, data, or other project deliverables
- You will be responsible for resolving technical issues as they occur and for the monitoring of progress of your areas of responsibility
- Organising and carrying out General, Principal & Special Bridge Inspections
- Assisting with the preparation of documentation relating to bridge projects
Here’s What You’ll Need
- Masters Merit Civil Engineering or Structural Engineering.
- Excellent analytical and technical skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Able to produce well-presented and accurate drawings and reports.
- Interest in new, digital ways of working, technologies and automation
- Committed to work and capable of managing own tasks, costs and meeting deadlines.
- Self-motivated and able to work as part of a team.
- Good IT skills
Ideally, here’s what you’ll also have
- Experience of structural analysis design software
- Experience of 2D and/or 3D modelling/drawing packagesAwareness of Building Information Modelling (BIM)
- Health and Safety training in the Bridges Sector
- Full valid driver’s license is desirable but not essential
We want you to have unlimited learning opportunities and space for growth in order for you to work towards the next stage of your career.
Recognised throughout industry as a benchmark of good practice our Graduate Development Programme offers a structured approach to Continuous Professional Development. You’ll benefit from learning that compliments chartership progression that will provide both the technical and business acumen you require to create your future.
We’re invested in you and your success. Our values stand on a foundation of safety, integrity, inclusion and diversity. We put people at the heart of our business and we truly believe that by supporting one another through our culture of caring, we all succeed. We value positive mental health and a sense of belonging for all employees.
We aim to make inclusion and diversity core attributes of our identity, embedded in all our employment and business practices in all locations. We know that if we are inclusive, we’re more connected, and if we are diverse, we’re more creative.
As a Disability Confident employer, we will interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for a vacancy. We welcome applications from candidates who are seeking flexible working and from those who may not meet all the listed requirements for a role.
Successful candidates will be asked to complete a Baseline Personnel Security Standard Pre-Employment check and will be required to undergo various checks including: Identity, Right to Work; Employment/Education History and Criminal Record. If you are unable to meet this and any associated criteria, then your employment may be delayed or rejected.
At Jacobs, we’re challenging today to reinvent tomorrow by solving the world’s most critical problems for thriving cities, resilient environments, mission-critical outcomes, operational advancement, scientific discovery and cutting-edge manufacturing, turning abstract ideas into realities that transform the world for good. With $13 billion in revenue and a talent force of more than 55,000, Jacobs provides a full spectrum of professional services including consulting, technical, scientific and project delivery for the government and private sector.