Graduate Civil Engineer Energy, Security & Technology Reading 2024
Join the Jacobs Graduate Development Programme (GDP) and have a meaningful, positive impact on our environments, communities, and societies worldwide. As a Jacobs Graduate you will be part of a larger network of talent who are Challenging Today and Reinventing Tomorrow.
What we do at Jacobs
Our Energy, Security & Technology business focuses on providing solutions relating to the energy transition, national security, space, technological innovation, and more. Our work is aligned with critical national priorities and is built on a strong foundation of long-term contracts and deep client relationships.
What will you get?
Our Graduate Development Programme is a structured two-year scheme where we provide the framework, mentoring and experiences to help you maximise your skills and ambitions. On joining our scheme in September 2024, as a Graduate Civil Engineer in our Decommissioning & Regeneration Solutions business, you’ll rapidly gain knowledge of how our company works and the impact that you can have to help us move towards a more connected and sustainable world.
About the opportunities
At Jacobs, our Decommissioning & Regeneration Solutions business brings decades of experience to decommissioning and clean-up, drawn from our work at the world’s most challenging nuclear sites. Safety case management, environmental and radiological consultancy, and health physics support go hand in hand with our core engineering capabilities, ensuring an unrelenting safety ethos. We apply strategies to minimize waste volumes requiring final disposal and we implement innovative decommissioning and decontamination processes for U.K. clients including Sellafield Ltd., Magnox Ltd and Dounreay Site Restoration Ltd.
As a Civil/Structural graduate, you will join our specialist team looking at the most complex and technically demanding structural engineering problems for the nuclear industry.
Each project is unique, but typically involves consideration of dynamic load effects due to extreme hazards, including seismic, blast, and impact. We have to look beyond code checks to get a deeper insight into structural response and failure mechanisms, considering ductility, nonlinear buckling, and soil structure interaction. We work things out as a team, starting from first principles, researching methodologies, challenging assumptions, thinking outside the box, and constantly learning.
We work to the highest standards. Our complex analysis models are rigorously validated. Everything we do has to be fully evidenced and justified through independent third-party review and ultimately to the nuclear safety Regulators.
As a result, this is one of the most varied and challenging roles you can take on as a civil/structural engineer.
The successful candidate will be based in our Warrington or Winnersh (Reading) office.
Here’s What You’ll Need
- Be working towards a relevant Degree or Masters level qualification such as Civil Engineering.
- A flexible self-starter who is keen to drive your career forward.
- Adaptable to change, with a thirst for learning new things.
- You must have the permanent right to work in the UK.
- Step 1: Apply Online
- Step 2: Solo Video Assessment
- Step 3: Interview
Apply before October 31st, 2023, for your application to be considered in the first assessment window. You can still apply after this date if the role remains open to applications. However, you do so with the knowledge that we may not proceed with your application if the role is filled in the first assessment window.
What else we provide
- A flexible workstyle, embracing a hybrid working pattern and supporting those who need to balance work/life commitments a bit differently than others.
- Free single medical cover and digital GP service.
- Reimbursement towards relevant professional development and memberships.
- An inclusive and diverse work environment, embracing the variety of disciplines, cultures, backgrounds and lifestyles of our employees through our Jacobs Employee Networks.
- A focus on safety, health, and wellbeing, prioritising our people through a culture of caring and positive mental health champion network.
- Opportunities to give back to our communities through our Collectively program, incorporating matched-funding, paid volunteering time and charitable donations.
We want you to bring your whole, authentic self to Jacobs
Jacobs partners with VERCIDA to help us attract and retain diverse talent. For greater online accessibility please visit www.vercida.com to view and access our roles. As a Disability Confident employer, we will interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for a vacancy. We welcome applications from candidates who are seeking flexible working and from those who may not meet all the listed requirements for a role.
If you require further support or reasonable adjustments with regards to the recruitment process (for example, you require the application form in a different format), please contact the team.
Your application experience is important to us, and we’re keen to adapt to make every interaction even better. We welcome feedback on our recruitment process and if you need more from us before deciding to join Jacobs then please let us know.