Machine Learning Center of Excellence Associate (Time Series & Reinforcement Learning) Summer Internship London 2024
Our Time Series & Reinforcement Learning team is a passionate group of academics, traders, quants and ML engineers building AI inductive reasoning systems across the firm. In leading ML science in the “Derivatives House of the Year 2022” (Risk Magazine Award), this team works closely in exploring cutting-edge research and applying the latest Machine Learning techniques to J.P. Morgan’s unique data assets, collaborating directly with traders, quants, data scientists and salespeople to drive the data-led transformation of our businesses.
What to expect
Candidates should have a Ph.D. or be close to finishing one and must commit to both continuous learning in different fields and be willing to leave their comfort zone to solve impactful business problems through synthesising different branches of knowledge. The candidate must have a strong passion for machine learning and invest independent time towards learning, researching, and experimenting with innovations across a variety of fields.
The Machine Learning Center of Excellence (MLCOE) is a world-class ML team continually advancing state-of-the-art methods to solve a wide range of real-world financial problems using the company’s vast and unique datasets. Strategically positioned in the Chief Technology Office, our work spans across all of J.P. Morgan’s lines of business including Corporate & Investment Banking, Asset Wealth Management, Consumer & Community Banking, and through every part of the organization from front office sales and trading, to operations, technology, finance and more. With this unparalleled access to the firm, this role offers a unique opportunity to explore novel and complex challenges that could profoundly transform how the firm operates.
Our Summer Associate Internship Program begins in June, depending on your academic calendar. Your professional growth and development will be supported throughout the internship program via project work related to your academic and professional interests, mentorship, engaging speaker series with senior leaders and more. Full-time employment offers may be extended upon successful completion of the program within our hybrid work model. Learn more about our MLCOE team at jpmorgan.com/mlcoe.
We are looking for innovative problem-solvers with a passion for developing machine learning solutions that support our global business.
- Ph.D. or in the last year of a Ph.D. program in machine learning, statistics, mathematics, computer science, economics, finance, science, engineering, or other quantitative fields
- Knowledge of machine learning / data science theory, techniques, and tools
- Scientific thinking, ability to work with literature and the ability to implement complex projects
- Ability to understand business problem, study literature for a solution approach, write high quality code for the chosen method, design training and experimentation to validate the algorithms and implementation, and to evaluate intrinsic and extrinsic metrics for model performance aligned with business goals
- Solid written and spoken communication to effectively communicate technical concepts and results to both technical and business audiences
- Ability to work both independently and in highly collaborative team environments
- Excellent analytical, quantitative, and problem-solving skills and demonstrated research ability
- Curious, hardworking, detail-oriented and motivated by complex analytical problems
- Knowledge of Financial Mathematics, Stochastic Calculus, Bayesian techniques, Statistics, State-Space models, MCMC, DSGE models, MCTS / distributed
- Knowledge and experience with Reinforcement Learning methods
- Knowledge of python, Tensorflow, tf-agent, Ray, RLLib, Tune, or other ML frameworks, etc.
- Experience with any of OOP, graph-based computation engines, large scale software development, C++/Java/CUDA, performance focused implementations, numerical algorithms, distributed computing, cloud computing, data transformation pipelines
- Familiarity with source control, continuous integration models and unit test development
- Published research in areas of natural language processing, speech recognition, reinforcement learning, or deep learning at a major conference or journal
We review summer internship applications as they are received and extend offers on a rolling basis. Therefore we strongly encourage you to apply early as our programs will close as positions are filled.
JPMorgan Chase is committed to creating an inclusive work environment that respects all people for their unique skills, backgrounds and professional experiences. We strive to hire qualified, diverse candidates, and we will provide reasonable accommodations for known disabilities.