Graduate Quality Engineer Newport 2024
The SPTS division of KLA, designs, manufactures and markets wafer processing solutions for the global semiconductor and related industries. SPTS provides industry leading etch and deposition process technologies on a range of single wafer handling platforms. End-market applications include micro-electromechanical systems (MEMS), advanced packaging, LED, high speed RF device IC’s and power semiconductors. SPTS is part of KLA Corporation which develops industry-leading equipment and services that enable innovation throughout the electronics industry. We provide advanced process control and process-enabling solutions for manufacturing wafers and reticles, integrated circuits, packaging, printed circuit boards and flat panel displays. In close collaboration with leading customers across the globe, our expert teams of physicists, engineers, data scientists and problem-solvers design solutions that move the world forward.
SPTS wafer processing solutions include market-leading silicon etch, dielectric etch, dry-release etch, PVD, PECVD and molecular vapor deposition (MVD®), available with a range of wafer-handling options applicable to R&D, pilot production, or volume production environments. SPTS is headquartered and has its main manufacturing facility in Newport, UK, with additional manufacturing in Allentown, Pennsylvania. SPTS operates across 19 countries in Europe, North America and Asia-Pacific, and offers comprehensive service and spare parts support through a worldwide network of service centers and qualified local agents.
We design, develop and manufacture high-tech capital equipment for the semiconductor and related global markets. You’ll be joining one of our Manufacturing Engineering and Quality teams, providing operational support and solutions from our head office in Newport as well as being given opportunity for you to travel supporting customers and suppliers, involving travel throughout Europe, Asia, and USA.
This role is part of our 2024 Graduate programme and will start in September 2024.
Purpose of the Role
This role represents an excellent opportunity for scientists or engineers who are looking to establish a career in a fast-growing, award-winning, global semiconductor company with a clearly defined career development path.
Following the Company's extensive onboarding and introduction program, you will join our Graduate Development program which includes Technical Classroom training, Soft-skills training, Team building, corporate responsibility activities and finally placement across all of our operations and process teams. It is not required for you to already have the skills and knowledge to perform the role, full on the job training will be provided through our graduate develop scheme. You will then be welcomed into your Team and continue your development supported by your KLA mentor!
Your day-to-day responsibilities will include:
The list below is illustrative of the types of activities to be learned/undertaken:
- Developing and demonstrating our operational processes to meet the agreed manufacturing specifications
- Contributing constructively to the work of our project teams in developing new products that meet the requirements of our global customer for their next generation designs.
- Assessing results using our fully equipped analytical laboratory and software tools including Minitab, Excel etc
- Problem solving, trouble shooting and investigating faults on manufacturing process solutions
- Providing regular updates to the engineering and operations teams on progress of project work, where required summarising results in a written report or presentation.
- Establishing both effective customer and team relationships particularly for clear communication of results and ideas
- Planning your work and executing plans in a safe, sensible and timely manner
This position will give an opportunity for some international travel and working some shift patterns to fully utilise our state-of-the-art manufacturing cleanroom. We will seek to give as much notice as possible where travel or shift work are required. KLA will of course provide travel expenses and a shift allowance in line with company policy.
For this role we are looking someone who
- Has a passion for learning and development, continuously seeking for new knowledge and learning opportunities.
- Can think logically to provide internal customer solutions with a good attention to detail and foresight and ability to collect, filter and analyse data to build solutions for complex technological problems
- Has the ability to think creatively of novel but practical solutions to internal customer problems
- Is able to demonstrate strong Communication skills – You’ll enjoy establishing and maintaining good working relationships with both customers and colleagues.
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree (2:1) in Engineering Discipline.
- Applicants with a Masters or prior experience of studies within the semiconductor industry would be desirable but certainly not a must.
- A good acquaintance with SW tools (MS office, MATLAB) would be advantageous.
What we will offer you?
SPTS’s benefits package includes: Annual leave starting at 25 days (plus bank holidays), contributory pension scheme, cash health plan, cycle to work scheme, global bonus plan, share scheme, rewards scheme, life assurance.
We offer a competitive, family friendly total rewards package. We design our programs to reflect our commitment to an inclusive environment, while ensuring we provide benefits that meet the diverse needs of our employees.
KLA is proud to be an equal opportunity employer