Graduate Proposals Assistant 2024
We're looking for bright and committed graduates who will bring energy, new ideas and a fresh perspective to help us become the recognised leader and transform the construction and engineering industry.
All the projects we build must be secured through competition or negotiation. When we submit offers to our clients, effective writing is crucial to explain how we will meet their needs with certainty and provide benefits.
As part of our proposals team, you will be working within our Clients & Markets function, pursuing and securing new projects across the UK. You will initially work as part of our proposals writing team, under the supervision of an experienced proposal leader, helping to create high quality bids that compel clients to choose Laing O'Rourke. You will be part of a high performing team comprising proposals managers, writers, graphic designers, and document production specialists.
This is a diverse and varied role, requiring you to engage with subject matter experts across our business to develop responses, case studies, corporate CVs and evidence that showcase the power of our experience. As your experience grows, you will become the lead writer for the bids you work on, gaining experience across different sectors and building your knowledge and contact network across our business.
The diversity of projects and the energy of working in a team towards a shared deadline will keep this role fresh and exciting. You will be curious to learn from feedback and experience, adapting your style and trying new techniques to get convey our message in concise proposals material. You will also use our intelligent AI-driven systems to help retrieve and store the best content for use in our submissions.
Longer term career progression exists within the proposals team, in proposals writing, coordination and management, or in our Clients & Markets function in bid management, as well as the overall Laing O'Rourke Group.
Key deliverables and accountabilities
- Plan, develop, write, review, and edit high quality proposal material that responds to client needs and articulates our win themes
- Understand client needs and scoring criteria and use this knowledge to shape bid responses
- Collaborate with bid team and functional subject matter experts through answer planning workshops to translate technical narratives into simple, client-focused responses
- Excite the client about our offer – make the reader think ‘wow, I didn't know they could do that!'
- Work with the team to create infographics and source images/film to convey our messages
- Actively participate in response review sessions; provide feedback to subject matter experts and bid teams to ensure their solutions meet the response requirements and marking criteria
- Ensure consistency using our house style and glossary
- Check and proofread final copy prior to submission
- Finalise responses within bid submission deadlines
- Learn from all submissions, identifying and sharing anything we did that enabled a high score or a win
Office based in either our Dartford or Manchester hubs with opportunity to travel to our projects and bid offices as required to complete assignments.
We will consider applicants from a wide array of disciplines:
- Any Humanities subject degree
- Technical degree (Engineering subjects, Architecture, Design)
- Associated degrees (e.g. Business) with marketing modules
Accreditation will be with the Association of Proposal Management Professionals (APMP), pursuing the Foundation level exam after 12 months experience, achieving Practitioner level following 3 years in role.
What can you expect?
Our graduate programme is designed to embrace and develop your capabilities. Most importantly, you will be encouraged to continue learning throughout your career. You will be stretched, challenged, and supported by a business that views your personal development and the achievement of professional accreditation as a priority.
Our programme will give you the practical experience, technical learning and professional development while being part of the some of the most exciting construction and infrastructure projects in the UK.
We are looking for graduates who meet the following criteria:
- Eligible to work in the UK with a valid work permit if applicable
- Full mobility as you may be required to relocate for your role
- Strong literacy and numeracy skills
- An appropriate degree course
- Your degree classification should be 2:2 or higher
Crucially, we are looking for candidates for this specific role that:
- Enjoy writing and can demonstrate a concise, persuasive written style and use of evidence to strengthen points within an essay
- Have a keen interest in the built environment and natural curiosity to understand the ‘why?'
- Can work effectively with others in a team environment
- Have creative flair; Can communicate effectively using words, images and film
- Are organised in approaching a deadline, planning, and keeping calm when the pressure builds
- Have excellent attention to detail
- Can manage multiple assignments and competing priorities
The Graduate Development Programme will commence in September 2024.