Marketing Internship 2021
Creativity is our superpower. It’s our heritage and it’s also our future. Because we don’t just make toys. We create innovative products and experiences that inspire, entertain and develop children through play. Mattel is at its best when every member of our team feels respected, included, and heard—when everyone can show up as themselves and do their best work every day. We value and share an infinite range of ideas and voices that evolve and broaden our perspectives with a reach that extends into all our brands, partners, and suppliers.
In Marketing, we all work as a team to support each other and our brands to help them strengthen and grow. Day-to-day tasks include creating TV edits, speaking with retailers and supplying brand assets to designers for promotion. As interns, we are responsible for helping select new products and coming up with ideas on how to develop our Showroom. Marketing interns work alongside their fellow interns and brand managers, enabling them to become fully immersed in their brands!
The Marketing Intern will also work alongside the customer marketing team, supporting the team in developing ‘best-in-class’ point of sale. Execute retail marketing campaigns that offer our retail partners distinct points of difference. Use shopper insight to help drive profitable sales and a competitive edge for both Mattel and our customers.
What Your Impact Will Be
Brand Management Support
- Assist in planning and supporting key marketing activities by working with key internal partners and external agencies
- Track marketing programs and monitor performance
- Assist in briefing and executing TV campaigns with external agency
- Work with design agency on key projects
- Support team in maintenance and obtaining of assets and copy for retail catalogues and website development
- Responsible for digital/web updates for relevant brands
- Opportunity to support team and present to key influencers during Sales Previews and Toy Fairs
- Complete management of weekly Brand tracking reports
- Preparation and distribution of Brand Reports for US counterparts
- Evaluate and provide analysis of TV campaigns
- Evaluate and provide analysis of category and competitor performance using data from monthly NPD reports
- Provide support for ad hoc analysis requests
Brand Marketing Team Admin Support
- Complete management of Invoicing and Purchase Order process through Oracle
- Support team in ordering of samples and execution of Toy Fair Showroom
- Provide miscellaneous administrative support such as coordinating retailer previews, internal or external meetings, preparation of documents, etc
Responsible for minimum 2 marketing projects
These will be based on business needs; the job holder will have full responsibility for scope and delivery and accountability for delivering the agreed project objectives
- Support eRetail team on ad hoc projects (including eRetail campaign development, Ratings and Review programme, web assets)
- Prepare the weekly Argos Share of Voice report
- Support Digital Media team on ad hoc projects
Customer Marketing Main Tasks
- Build ongoing strong relationships with external agencies and retail partners.
- Collaborate with multiple internal stakeholders to maximise placement at retail to deliver against our sales ambition.
- Have a creative flair for customer marketing ideation: blue sky thinking and innovation.
- Assist in the execution and delivery of trade marketing, including but not limited to point of sale/POP packs - FSDUs, CDUs, Pallets, Shelf Stripping, Window Posters etc.
- Create planograms to maximise shelf performance and off-fixture display opportunities when required.
- Brief the merchandising agency on our key sales windows to improve retail compliance and report on performance to help maximise sales.
- Source creative materials and brand assets such as product pack shots and retail style guides.
- Continual analysis and review to understand performance. Work with the internal shopper and commercial insights team to review and evaluate the impact of Mattel’s promotional activity and key customer marketing activities based on sales uplift, ROI and brand objectives both in-store and online.
- Report on the implementation of programs to help shape key learnings for future growth and deliver stronger KPIs
- Review and present key analysis projects to support account growth opportunities
- Help quantify the trade marketing success of off-fixture display initiatives
- Support the sales & marketing teams’ ongoing need for ad hoc analysis
- Conduct regular omnichannel retail activity and market trend research: gathering examples and compiling reports showcasing best in class visual merchandising, promotional activity and customer marketing activity:
- Regular competitor shopping/analysis from publicly available sources
- Help identify sales opportunities or threats
- Research linked to key buying cycles and seasonal windows
- Help manage the customer marketing brand, retail, and promotional calendars to ensure they’re kept up to date and shared with the relevant teams.
- Create a monthly newsletter for internal and external partners to keep them informed of the latest customer marketing campaigns and brand activity.
- Support the creation of category, channel, and retailer pitch decks for key customer meetings to aid sell-in.
What We’re Looking For
- Strong numerate / analytical skills / commercial acumen
- Project management
- Good understanding of the retail landscape and ability to utilise marketing data to identify and develop growth opportunities
- Understands the importance of ROI
- Ability to draw accurate conclusions from campaign data
- Attention to detail
- Computer skills, Excel skills are essential, knowledge of other MS Office applications (including PowerPoint and Outlook), Internet search skills
- Self motivated with a “can do” proactive attitude
- Flexible style and adaptable, but with an understanding of the importance of process
- Team player with a collaborative friendly working style
- Has a passion for creative thinking and innovation
- Driven, passionate and highly motivated
- Organisational awareness
- Strong communicator in written and verbal communication,
- Ability to juggle competing priorities and manage expectations
What It’s Like to Work Here
We are a purpose driven company aiming to empower the next generation to explore the wonder of childhood and reach their full potential. We live up to our purpose employing the following behaviors:
- We collaborate: Being a part of Mattel means being part of one team with shared values and common goals. Every person counts and working closely together always brings better results. Partnership is our process and our collective capabilities is our superpower.
- We innovate: At Mattel we always aim to find new and better ways to create innovative products and experiences. No matter where you work in the organization, you can always make a difference and have real impact. We welcome new ideas and value new initiatives that challenge conventional thinking.
- We execute: We are a performance driven company. We strive for excellence and are focused on pursuing best in class outcomes. We believe in accountability and ownership and know that our people are at their best when they are empowered to create and deliver results.
Who We Are
Mattel is a leading global toy company and owner of one of the strongest catalogs of children’s and family entertainment franchises in the world. We create innovative products and experiences that inspire, entertain and develop children through play. We engage consumers through our portfolio of iconic brands, including Barbie, Hot Wheels, Fisher-Price, American Girl, Thomas & Friends, UNO and MEGA, as well as other popular intellectual properties that we own or license in partnership with global entertainment companies. Our offerings include film and television content, gaming, music and live events. We operate in 35 locations and our products are available in more than 150 countries in collaboration with the world’s leading retail and ecommerce companies. Since its founding in 1945, Mattel is proud to be a trusted partner in empowering children to explore the wonder of childhood and reach their full potential.