Graduate Engineer Software Developer 2021
We are seeking a passionate and enthusiastic Graduate Engineering Software Developer to support our engineering teams in the creation and use of computational tools and workflows. Based in our London office, you will receive a technical education in code-based software development.
These are exciting times in the architectural, engineering and construction (AEC) industry. The industry is undergoing a digital transformation, driven by the uptake of new process such as Building Information Modelling (BIM), the effort to digitalise the design and construction process, and the ongoing sustainability drive for Net-Zero Carbon buildings requiring innovative engineering design solutions.
On the scale of a whole building, managing complexity can be a difficult task. In recent years Max Fordham has been investing in new, code-based methods to support our engineering teams.
Engineering software development sits within the Digital Design Team and works with various specialist engineering groups within the practice, to develop tools and processes to better deliver our work. As such, the team sees an exciting variety of work types and uses code-based methods to develop innovative solutions.
About the Role
The key responsibilities of the role are to:
- Help develop bespoke, code-based tools and solutions to support our engineering teams and Engineering project delivery.
- Use best-practice open-source development workflow, with the potential goal of open-sourcing selected engineering and development tools once matured.
- Maintain existing and new internally developed tools that are in use around the practice.
- Provide training, instruction and support to others on the use of in-house tools.
- Engage with engineers about how the tools work and how we can use software development to efficiently fulfil engineering project requirements.
- Champion creativity and innovation, responding quickly to a rapidly changing industry to help Max Fordham remain at the cutting edge of innovation in the built environment.
What technology do we use?
- Revit, Revit API, pyRevit
- IES, IES python API
- Rhino, Grasshopper and the supporting ecosystem
- Python, Conda and JupyterHub web-server
We value people with the ability to think analytically and creatively, adopting a first principles approach to create elegant and innovative solutions to practical problems. We recruit and train people who can rise to this challenge.
This role requires a motivated team player who is keen and willing to learn. As such, essential personal attributes for this role include a strong sense of ownership for the work that you do. You must care about the presentation and detail of the work and have a strong desire to achieve technicalexcellence and completeness.
Good communication skills are vital, as is an ability to build strong relationships with the Software Development and Digital Design teams.
In summary, the key skills and qualifications required for this role are:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- The ability to clearly articulate advanced computational concepts in an easily understandable manner to those not familiar with the process.
- A strong attention to detail and high technical competence
- Initiative and proactive working methodology
- Ability to work well with colleagues to achieve shared goals
- Confidence to interrogate a brief and question supervisors’ approach rather than following blindly
- Degree Level (minimum) in maths, science, engineering or computational design with experience in coding preferred.
It is expected the following skills will be acquired by the applicant through their work at Max Fordham however prior knowledge would be advantageous:
- Enthusiasm to write clean, high quality code and be comfortable to take part in team code reviews.
- Experience using source control such as Git.
- Knowledge of relational databases (MySQL or PostgreSQL).
- Knowledge and interest in Architectural Design
What we Offer
- Excellent growth opportunities for your personal and career development in a knowledge driven environment
- Mentored support towards professional accreditation
- Interesting and technically challenging projects
- An inclusive culture and cooperative environment
- Opportunities for involvement in business-running activities
- Flexible working arrangements
- Competitive pay and employee bonus
- Future opportunities for Partnership
- Six weeks holiday (including Bank holidays)
- Max Fordham Pension Scheme
- Other benefits include generous paid parental leave, sick pay, and treatment pay
How to Apply
If you are interested in working with us, we are keen to hear from you. In addition to providing your CV, please apply with a conversational letter that tells us how your skills match our criteria and your interests align with our vision of a beautifully engineered net zero carbon world.
If you have any additional queries, please contact Anya Hadden at email@example.com. You will also need to demonstrate how you are eligible to work in the UK.