Manufacturing Engineer Summer Placement Bolton 2024
MBDA is a leading defence organisation that is proud to support our Armed Forces in protecting our nations. We collaborate with governments to achieve a shared goal of defending our freedom.
What we can offer you
- 10 or 12 week summer placement starting June 2024
- Fantastic site facilities, including subsidised meals and free car parking
- A placement that allows you to apply your university learning to real-world engineering projects and technologies
- Flexible working
Due to the nature of manufacturing you will be predominantly based on-site, with opportunities to do some work remotely.
Manufacturing Engineering is part of the Operations directorate based at our Manufacturing Centre of Excellence. Manufacturing consists of Assembly, Integration and Test of all our products for the company. The products we make are delivered directly to the customer/end user and therefore manufacturing are vitally important to the delivery aspects of MBDAs business.
Manufacturing engineers work closely with design to influence the producibility of designs. They are also responsible for the ‘how' we build our products including being responsible for:
- Any tooling required to build our products.
- Instructions on how to build our products.
- The cost of manufacture of our products.
- The industrial validations of our production lines and our suppliers.
- Day-to-day support of our operators building our products.
- The architecture of the production lines.
- Developing new manufacturing processes.
Each day for a manufacturing engineer is different, it is a mix of time spent on the shop floor and office based working. There are also opportunities to travel to other MBDA sites and countries, plus visiting suppliers. As part of dynamic working there may be opportunities to do some work remotely, however due to the nature of the job, there will always be a requirement to work on site some of the time.
In Manufacturing, you are also able to not only see but also be part of the realisation of our products.
This role is best suited to those with a true ‘Engineering Mind-set'; the ability to take technical information and turn it into something that can be used in building our products. The ability to find improvements and cost saving in the production of our products. The problem solving when something needs fixing.
What we're looking for from you
- Studying towards a degree in a Physics, Mathematics or Engineering (incl. Aerospace/Aeronautical, Mechanical, Manufacturing/Production, Systems, Electrical/Electronic and General) discipline.
- Training in the use of tools will be provided, as necessary, but previous use of tools such as Simul8, MRP tools (SAP), Engineering Drawing tools (Creo), Configuration Control would be an advantage.
We value new perspectives, collaboration, and diversity. We are committed to growing and supporting diversity in our workforce and ensuring everyone has an equal opportunity to reach their potential.
We encourage you to speak to us should you require any advice, support or adjustments throughout our recruitment process.
Follow us on LinkedIn (MBDA), Twitter (@MBDAcareers), Instagram (lifeatMBDA_UK) and Glassdoor or visit our MBDA Careers website for more information.
MBDA UK Limited requires all employees to achieve the required medical and national security clearance for their role. Further restrictions and/or limitations relating to nationality and/or rights to work may also apply. As a minimum and after offer stage, all successful candidates will need to undergo HMG Basic Personnel Security Standard checks (BPSS), which are managed by the MBDA Personnel Security Team.
Due to the nature of our business, this particular vacancy requires the applicant as a minimum to be a British Citizen or a Dual UK national with British citizenship and capable of achieving the clearance levels mentioned above.