Junior Business Intelligence Analyst
Merkle’s heritage in data, technology and analytics is the foundation for our understanding of consumer insights that drives our people-based marketing strategies. Combined with our expertise in performance creative and media, we can then offer our clients content-driven, contextual and compelling customer experiences that drive business growth.
If you’re a logical, process-driven individual with an interest in exploring data, you could be a perfect fit for the Insights Team in our Analytics Department. We’re on the lookout for entry-level Business Intelligence (BI) Analysts to help clean, query and visualise our clients’ data. We are looking for someone to join in the near future (although the start date is yet to be confirmed due to the COVID-19 crisis). Our entry level roles are typically aimed at recent graduates, qualified apprentices and/or someone with under a years’ experience in a similar role.
As a Graduate BI Analyst, you’ll be part of our industry-leading Analytics department. You’ll spend your day supporting the build and analysis of cross-platform marketing datasets to enhance clients’ BI capabilities. You will work closely with clients to understand their needs and deliver solutions that automate and generate insights from their data. To begin, you will be supported by an experienced Lead, but you will develop towards independently managing your own implementations.
Your role will involve developing and maintaining data solutions for clients marketing and business data, enabling positive change across their business. We work with big data solutions and visualisation platforms such as Google Cloud Platform, AWS, Datorama and Tableau. Innovation is the lifeblood of our company: we’re quick to adopt new technologies as the market changes and encourage self-starters who can help us to do so. This attitude feeds into a wider spirit of collaboration and commitment to development that we’re incredibly proud of.
- Contributing to the build of a data model to bring multiple sources of data into an integrated solution – working out which fields should be mapped where, and why
- Checking data (‘QA’) and debugging errors – this is a specific and logical process which aims to isolate issues and implement scalable fixes
- Designing and building dashboards – once the data is in place, we select and assemble visuals which provide the greatest impact, calling on an appreciation for experience and aesthetic
- Building SQL queries to transform data – robust, clean data is at the heart of any reliable solution and often it takes some work to surface
- Using Python to manipulate files, build pipelines and call APIs – Python provides extreme flexibility and has use cases in nearly every part of our work
- Clearly and confidently communicate technical concepts to stakeholders – it’s important we stay accountable and transparent throughout, so being able to unpack complex concepts is key
We’re mainly looking for someone who loves data and is passionate about using it to effectively communicate and drive change. There are a few essential skills this candidate must have, and some that are desirable.
- Either previous work experience, a relevant apprenticeship or a degree from an accredited college or university in a STEM subject or similar
- An understanding of digital marketing, and how data might be used to enhance the performance of digital marketing campaigns
- A logical, curious, and analytical mindset with a desire to interrogate data
- The ability to work autonomously as well as part of a team
- The ability to engage clients, instigate and monitor change management within the organisation as needed
- Excellent attention to detail
- A desire for continuous learning and personal growth
- Experience in Python or other coding language
- Experience in SQL, or working with databases
- Excellent presentation and communication skills
If you possess any of the desirable skills above, please let us know in your cover letter as these would be a wonderful bonus.
Make sure to blow us away with your in-depth research before your first interview. Also, at the point of the application, the candidate must have the legal right to work in the UK as we are unable to sponsor visas at this time. We suggest you apply at your earliest convenience, as our roles are always very popular and do fill quickly. We hire on a first-come basis.
In this position, you will be focusing solely on Data used within marketing, so we will want to see a passion and enthusiasm for this particular area. This interest can be showcased in your research and ability to go above and beyond when looking into this area.
- Application – When you apply you will be asked a couple of questions to showcase your interest in Data and Analytics
- Video Interview – If your application is successful you will be asked to record a video interview. The video interview is a chance for us to get to know more about you and your knowledge and recent research. Think about looking into Google analytics, tools, platforms, metrics etc.
- Online Interview - If successful after a video interview then you would progress to the Online Interview. This is a chance for you to meet the team via video call, learn more about the company and showcase your skills, passion and research in person. You will also be given a coding test so you can showcase your coding ability
- Final Interview – If you reach the final interview, you will be asked to put together a Data focused presentation, based off a pretend client brief. Until we all return to the office you will present this over video call
Throughout the entire process we will be wanting to learn more about you as an individual (your interests, skills and understanding of the role), your passion for this area and the research you’ve done. Don’t focus on the nerves, make sure you come prepared and ensure you interview us as well. At the end of the day you’ll be with us 5 days a week, so you want to make sure its somewhere you want to work to.
If you have any special requirements or needs throughout the interview process, please let us know so we can accommodate these.
- Career development through Merkle University and other tools; with access to courses, textbooks and mentorship
- Private Medical Insurance, Company Pension, life insurance and other corporate benefits
- A selection of other benefits including ability to buy additional holiday, season ticket loan and 2 volunteer days
Diversity and Inclusion
At Merkle, we believe that a diverse and inclusive environment improves us as a community and as a business. We want to foster an environment of growth, where ideas and contributions are actively encouraged. We need this culture of courage to continue to thrive in our fast-paced industry.
We have created six Diversity and Inclusion Pillars. Each pillar is made up of a community of members who serve as role models and spread a message of inclusion throughout our global workplace. Pillar members are responsible for planning initiatives, events and training, along with championing change within our business. These pillars are Gender, Ethnicity, Mental Health, Religion, Disability, LGBT+.
Merkle is a place that embraces differences of opinion. To be an advocate for real change we really encourage applications from women, candidates with disabilities and Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) candidates as we recognise that these groups are currently underrepresented in our marketing/technology industry.