Graduate Lighting Engineering 2024
To avoid missing out on this opportunity, we recommend that you apply as soon as possible as we will close when the positions have been filled.
As a Graduate Lighting Engineer working within the Highways and Infrastructure team you will be expected to work in collaboration with all our sister offices in Norwich, London, Croydon, Cambridge, Brighton and Southampton as well as our offices in the wider UK and overseas. The role involves supporting and undertaking the design, implementation and commissioning of external lighting schemes, general electrical design works and environmental lighting impact assessments.
This role offers the opportunity to develop and grow your career and work on a range of projects varying in size and complexity across both the public and private sectors, working autonomously on your projects and as part of a larger, multi-disciplinary team. Projects cover the full lifecycle from feasibility, through concept and into design and construction stages.
You will work closely with other members of the team, supporting the team leader/project manager to maintain the culture of delivery and high performance, you will also be supporting project teams or project elements through all phases of a project, from bidding through to completion. This will include keeping within the financial and programme targets.
The role will be varied as well as demanding and challenging but provides an opportunity to develop your own career within Mott MacDonald.
Key elements to successfully fulfill the role are
- Design of new and replacement residential, area and infrastructure street lighting schemes to BS5489-1:2020.
- Design of new and replacement infrastructure lighting schemes to BS EN 12464-2-2014.
- Design and verification of general low voltage (LV) private cable networks.
- Production of contractual documentation (Inc. specification and bills of quantities/schedule of rates).
- Architectural lead lighting enhancements/schemes.
- Environmental lighting impact assessments.
- Undertaking visual site inspections and surveys.
- Successful Project Delivery
- Production of design drawings and schematics using a range of software in the BIM environment.
- Demonstrate knowledge of and adapt to changes in electrical technology, design techniques and H&S legislation to ensure that all works are carried out to current best practice and criteria.
- Apply the Mott MacDonald procedures including taking responsibility for Health and Safety as well as compliance the CDM Regulations 2015.
- Contribute towards achieving client satisfaction, trusted partner relationships and securing repeat work.
- Demonstrate a proactive approach to project and technical challenges.
Leadership & Management
- You will support the team leader / project manager to maintain a collaborative and inclusive culture.
We are looking for committed and motivated graduates with a genuine passion and a desire to make a difference in the world. If this describes you, apply today to launch your career at Mott MacDonald.
To be eligible for this opportunity, you will have less than 12 months relevant experience and have a degree or are expected to achieve one of the following degree disciplines:
- Lighting Design (BA)
- Light and Lighting (MSc)
In your application you should be able to demonstrate your interest in the role and working at Mott MacDonald through relevant experience, such as studying relevant modules, or previous work experience.
We are looking for graduates with the following characteristics:
- Methodical approach to problem solving.
- Ability to use your initiative to undertake tasks efficiently and independently.
- Excellent verbal communication skills, which allow you to confidently liaise with clients and team members.
- Excellent written communication and attention to detail and be able to demonstrate accurate technical drawings and good report writing.
As we want the best people for the role, we support flexible working. Please ask us at interview stage about any flexibility you may need.
Use of AI tools in our application process
In today's fast-paced and technology-driven world, we understand that candidates may use various tools, including AI, to enhance their applications. Whilst we embrace the changes technology brings, we also value the importance of authenticity and genuine human connection.
At Mott MacDonald, we are interested in the unique qualities, experiences, and perspectives that you as an individual can bring. We want to emphasise that what truly sets you apart is your authentic self and to consider this when making an application. Please be prepared to answer questions during your interview, based on the information you have provided in your application form.
About your development
A graduate position should be more than just a job. We know this and so do you. That’s why with our graduate roles, we aim to give you the experience and technical knowledge you need to progress your career.
From the moment you join us, you’ll receive the training you need. You will be assigned a mentor, who will guide you to meet the objectives of your professional training agreement. We’ll support you on your journey to gaining chartered status with your chosen institution.
What else is involved?
You’ll be enrolled onto Accelerate Your Future, a structured three-year soft-skills development programme which develops the strengths that we know graduates need to be successful at Mott MacDonald. It also gives you the opportunity to network and meet other graduates in your cohort. The programme is a mix of residential events, classroom-based learning, virtual webinars, and CSR (Corporate Social Responsibility) challenges. We understand that each person’s career goals vary, therefore we tailor make each individual’s development programme to suit them. With our vast library of e-learning courses available to you, you can choose which direction you want your career to go in.
What we offer
You’re probably wondering what else is on offer.
Join us, and you’ll get
- Biannual salary reviews: we believe that hard work should be rewarded and recognised. Therefore, for the first three years of your career with us, you’ll have biannual salary reviews.
- A competitive salary: in addition to biannual reviews, we will ensure that you’re given a salary that matches the current industry standard.
- Contributory pension up to 7% of your salary: we have the best people on our team, and we like to look out for them. With our support, you’ll have all the advice and options you need to be able to invest in your future.
- A flexible benefits scheme: our company is made up of a range of different people and we understand that different people want different things. That’s why with our flexible plan, you’ll have the ability to manage the range of benefits we have on offer, to suit your specific needs.