Water Resources and Flood Risk Industrial Placement 2021
Our Leeds team are currently contributing to a wide range of projects including:
- Flood alleviation schemes in Whalley, Leeds and Hebden Bridge- we are using flood models to help assess options to reduce flood risk from river to surface water flooding and to help prepare flood risk assessments to confirm that the proposed options do not increase flood risk elsewhere.
- Designing a strategic approach to use of natural solutions to reduce flood risk to Leeds, by applying natural measures across the Aire catchment.
- Environmental impact assessments to understand how new infrastructure, such as a road in Lancashire, will affect water resources and flood risk.
- Catchment management approaches to dealing with tightened consents with phosphorus in discharge consents for a water company in northern England.
- Supervision of the drilling of new water supply boreholes in the Midlands.
You will be supporting the team with a variety of tasks including:
- Data Handling and analysis
- Production of maps and figures for reporting purposes
- Developing simple methodologies to undertake tasks
- Hydrological and hydraulic analysis
- Report writing
- GIS manipulation of data
- Site visits
- Project administration
To join us for this industrial trainee placement you must currently be at University, studying Catchment Management, Hydrology or related degree.
You’ll be working with graduates, experienced professionals, and other students so a placement with us is the perfect opportunity to learn from a variety of people while understanding our values and culture. It’s also a great chance to get involved with real projects while gaining relevant experience.
This industrial placement offers a unique opportunity for a student to work on a part time basis alongside their studies. We are flexible on the number of hours worked, but ideally this would be 10-15 hours a week with regular slots on a week to week basis.
We anticipate that this work would contribute to your “Professional Development” module.
As well as having one of the specific degrees listed above, we are looking for students with the following characteristics:
- A methodical approach to problem solving
- The ability to use your initiative to undertake tasks efficiently and independently.
- Excellent verbal communication skills, which allow you to confidently liaise with clients and team members.
- Excellent written communication and attention to detail with the ability to demonstrate accurate technical drawings and good report writing.
We’re looking for a highly motivated student who is passionate about learning from our industry experts. You’ll be given the opportunity to gain invaluable experience working on some of the exciting projects that are helping to shape tomorrow’s world.
We understand that to put your learning into practice it’s important that you’re given an accurate insight in to our innovative industry. With enough work placement experience under your belt you can get just that. Think of it as a worthwhile investment towards your future career.
We place a lot of emphasis on giving you a realistic view of our world, so you can decide if it’s the industry you want to work in.
Many of the employees that we recruit for our graduate schemes are students that have made an impression during their placements with us, so remember, this could be the start of a promising career for you with Mott MacDonald.