Medical Affairs Industrial Placement 2021
We offer exciting 12-month placement opportunities for university students approaching their penultimate study year and who are looking for an industry placement as part of their degree. A placement with us will give you the opportunity to collaborate alongside subject matter experts, bring your own ideas and share real responsibility whilst delivering on meaningful projects that help on our mission to save and improve lives, all whilst working alongside a passionate, diverse and inclusive workforce.
This role will be based in our brand new, state-of-the-art co-working facilities in Moorgate, London; with fantastic amenities and support services including a gym, coffee bar and conference rooms.
Who we are
We are a global biopharmaceutical leader with a diverse portfolio of prescription medicines, oncology, vaccines and animal health products. We are driven by our purpose to develop and deliver innovative products that save and improve lives. With over 70,000 employees operating in more than 140 countries, we offer state of the art laboratories, plants and offices that are designed to Inspire our employees as we learn, develop and grow in our careers. We are proud of over 125 years of service to humanity and continue to be one of the world’s biggest investors in Research & Development.
We are officially certified by the Top Employer Institute and been awarded the exclusive Top Employer United Kingdom Certification for the third year running.
We are a research-driven biopharmaceutical company. Our mission is built on the simple premise that if we “follow the science” and that great medicines can make a significant impact to our world. And we believe that a research-driven enterprise dedicated to world-class science can succeed by inventing medicine and vaccine innovations that make a difference for patients across the globe.
Our Medical Affairs team engages with industry leaders and medical experts to share the scientific value of our current and pipeline products. We connect, communicate and train internal employees to ensure we all understand the science behind our medicine.
- Project management assistant for Medical Affairs projects- e.g. advisory boards, medical education meetings and activities, work with Patient or Healthcare organisations, Pre-licence-Patient-Access, as deemed appropriate by therapy area and your manager
- Participates in the development of the Medical Affairs Plans (MAPs) and helps to implement tactics identified in the MAP that align with the Company’s therapeutic areas of interest
- Closely works with the therapy area Medical Advisor to co-ordinate the yearly Scientific Data gap analysis workshops and contributes towards any plans to address identified data gaps
- Works alongside our team in the delivery of regular medical affairs team meetings and educational sessions
- Project management assistant for Local Data Generation Studies and Investigator Initiated Studies:
- Co-ordinate and attend the Local Trial Team (LTT) Meetings and keep track of actions and manage minutes
- Help keep study trackers up to date
- Attend study site visits with the Medical team to assess progress of individual academic institutions
- Regularly presents ongoing activities and milestones to the wider medical team
- Scientific writing, working closely with the medical team to deliver on publication plans
- Manage Study Update Reports (collect and upload) into the Vision Tracker system
- Maintains up to date and appropriate paperwork and filing for UK research activities
- Develops an understanding of our products and the disease areas
- Aids in developing responses to medical information requests from healthcare professionals
- Attends and contributes to the working of the Medical Governance Team meetings by:
- Working along our team in the generation of reports and metrics on medical information quires, product quality complains and adverse incidence reporting
- Helps to monitor the performance of verification of receipt of Additional Risk Minimisation Measures and feedback to Medical Governance
- Assists with the process assurance activities for Pharmacovigilence reporting
- Maintain compliance with all statutory requirements, internal processes and procedures for Pharmacovigilance
- Works with wider cross functional teams on digital and social media innovation projects, internal training and communications management
- Identifies systems or process improvements to enable the department to run efficiently
- Participates in communication of Medical Affairs activities across the teams and the wider UK business
- Helps maintain the internal medical SharePoint
Offers Experience on
- Developing your knowledge of the pharmaceutical industry, medical affairs and the corporate world
- Cross collaborating with various teams across the business, building strong team working, communication and presentation skills and confidence
- Opportunities to take part in ‘stretch’ assignments and projects to enhance personal development goals across the business
- You will be looking to complete a 12-month placement in your third or penultimate year of study, returning to your course at the end of the placement
- Studying a biomedical, science, or social science degree (or equivalent qualification)
- Evidence of interest in healthcare sciences
- Ability to problem solve
- Demonstrate analytical ability
Qualities we look for
- Operates with a high level of integrity, transparency and accountability
- Comprehends and aligns with our organisation’s core values
- Aligns and fosters a culture of diversity and inclusivity
- Demonstrates initiative, proactivity and academic curiosity
- Encourages and boosts their colleagues through teamwork
- Demonstrates clear and effective communication
- Demonstrates a desire to learn and improve their performance through feedback
- Able to self-motivate, remain organised and work to timelines
How to apply
- Please complete the online application form and attach an editable CV and cover letter (not a PDF, please submit the CV and cover letter as 1 document).
- In your cover letter we would encourage you to answer the following questions; Why are you applying to us and why are you applying for this role? Additionally, you may include any additional information you feel further supports your application.
- Maximum word count for your cover letter: 300 – 400 words. Please do not exceed this.
- Our recruitment process for this role is: An online application, an online assessment, a telephone interview and then a final virtual assessment.