Planning and Project Controls Graduate North September 2024
Murphy is a leading global, specialist engineering and construction company founded in 1951 that improves life by delivering world-class infrastructure.
Operating in the United Kingdom, Ireland and Canada, we provide better engineered solutions to infrastructure sectors including Transportation, Water, Power, Natural Resources, and Construction & Property. Murphy employs around 3,500 engineers, professional managers and skilled operatives around the world.
Together, we work as ‘One Murphy’ by directly delivering the people, plant and expertise needed to make projects a success.
Murphy Goes Green
- 36% reduction in carbon emission intensity to date
- 98% of waste diverted from landfill
- Introduced cleaner burning Gas-to-Liquid fuel (first construction company in the UK)
- Installed electric and hybrid car charging points
- Working towards being Net Zero by 2030
Murphy are hiring Graduates into our Planning and Project Controls team. The role will entail working on a diverse range of engineering projects, supporting the work of the Senior Planning and Project Management teams.
- Gathering information on the progress of works.
- Quantifying work to do and work completed to date.
- Supporting the development of short- and medium-term programmes of work.
- Visiting sites to capture progress records.
- Helping to prepare Power BI dashboards and reports.
- Support the planning team with administrative duties, including monitoring mailboxes and action accordingly.
- Liaise with Operations and Murphy project teams to ensure collaborative working relationships are maintained,
- Monitor compliance and advise the of individuals failing to observe these systems and procedures
- Run weekly reports from the various planning systems & distribute relevant documentation to senior management and supply chain.
- To comply with company standards, policies and procedures.
What do we look for?
We are not looking for you to be studying towards a specific degree, it is your skill, your personal attributes and motivations that are most important.
However it is preferable to have someone who is studying a built environment related degree, IT literate, with the ability to analyse and interpret data. Above all, we need people who will adopt our values and strive to live them:
- One Family, One Team, One Murphy
- Always Deliver
- Respect, Integrity & Accountability
- Never Harm
- Continually Improve
- Due to the nature of our work, we require you to have a full clean driving licence
- Eligible to work in the UK with a valid work permit if applicable. Please note that unfortunately, we do not provide sponsorship.
As a Construction and Civil Engineering company we have projects, big and small, based across the UK and Ireland.
There is the opportunity for you to rotate around our projects, which depends on business requirements and project sizes. Rotating to different projects will enable you to maximise your learning and exposure to your field of study.
How will I learn?
In short, by grabbing every chance you get. Alongside working on some fascinating, challenging and occasionally jaw-dropping projects, you’ll also be part of our Murphy Learning programme, where everyone has ownership of their own training. You decide what skills you want to gain, with support and guidance from your manager. We call it the 70:20:10 principle, and it goes like this:
- 70% learning on the job, challenging yourself with new projects and responsibilities
- 20% learning through others, training and networking with senior managers, colleagues, and industry leaders
- 10% structured learning, choosing training courses that fit your needs and your team’s aims