Associate Scientist (Weapons System Modelling) Farnborough 2024
Be part of the QinetiQ journey.
Join us as an Associate Scientist at our Farnborough site where you will have the opportunity to work with cutting-edge technology and many of the industry’s brilliant minds.
As an Associate Scientist, you’ll have a role that is out of the ordinary, developing bespoke modelling, simulation and data analysis software for evaluating weapon performance, as well as exploiting existing models developed both internally and by customers.
Day-to-day, you’ll develop an understanding of overall weapon performance involving understanding the complex interactions between all of the key sub-systems and the role will involve undertaking studies which require domain knowledge in guidance, control, navigation and seekers.
- Accountable to the Project Manager for delivering work against specific project codes to time, budget and standard.
- Accountable to the Team Leader for performance, specifically meeting objectives and demonstrating positive behaviours in areas such as integrity, collaboration and business development.
- Accountable to the Head of Discipline with respect to accurate time-recording, non-project costs (i.e. overheads and investment activities) and safe working, including completion of mandatory annual training.
This is a full time role, 37-hours per week, with hybrid working opportunities.
- Strong technical background in bespoke software development, specifically Matlab and Simulink.
- Strong technical credentials, particularly experience in closed-loop sub-system modelling and analysis.
- Ability to generate clear and well-structured input to reports and customer presentations
- Demonstrable experience working in closed-loop weapons modelling
- Demonstrable experience of Matlab, ideally with Simulink or C/C++
- Knowledge of RF seeker systems
- Experience of synthetic image generation, image processing and object tracking
- Experience of data fusion methods
- Machine learning techniques
- Graduate level knowledge in a subject with a high level of Physics, Applied Maths and Scientific Computing content
- Adaptive and flexible working
- Generous holiday allowance
- Health Cash Plan, Private Medical Insurance and Dental Insurance
- Matched contribution pension scheme, with life assurance
- Employee discount portal: Personal Accident Insurance, Travel Insurance, Restaurants, Cinema Tickets and much more.
- Holiday Trading is a benefit that allows most employees to buy up to 5 days’ additional leave.
- We are proud to support the Armed Forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant.
- Payroll Giving and Volunteering - helping charities and local community.
Our volunteering programme enables our people to use their professional skills to make a positive difference in our local communities, for example STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths) ambassador days in schools. We support a number of charities that are important to our people, including those which help the defence community.
Why join QinetiQ?
As we continue to grow into new markets around the world, there’s never been a more exciting time to join QinetiQ. The formula for success is our appetite for innovation and having the courage to take on a wide variety of complex challenges.
You’ll experience a unique working environment where teams from different backgrounds, disciplines and experience enjoy collaborating widely and openly as we undertake this exciting and rewarding journey.
Through effective teamwork, and pulling together, you’ll get to experience what happens when we all share different perspectives, blend disciplines, and link technologies; constantly discovering new ways of solving complex problems in a diverse and inclusive environment where you can be authentic, feel valued and realise your full potential. Visit our website to read more about our diverse and inclusive workplace culture.
As a company of thousands of dedicated professionals, we are a world-centre of excellence in research and development and act as a catalyst for fast-track innovation, offering outstanding experimentation facilities, and technical, engineering and scientific expertise. QinetiQ is made up of dedicated experts in defence, aerospace, security and related markets, all working together to explore new ways of protecting what matters most.
Being part of QinetiQ means being central to the safety and security of the world around us. Partnering with our customers, we help to save lives; reduce risks to society; and maintain the global infrastructure on which we all depend. Come and find out how you can play a role.