Undergraduate Design Engineer Placement Birmingham 2024
This is the perfect introduction to one of the most interesting and challenging industries in the world. By joining us, you’ll work with people who’ll give you the right foundations for your post-graduation career.
About The Role
We are looking for an Undergraduate Civil Engineer to join our Birmingham team for their placement year. You will get hands-on experience within a dynamic and progressive company. This is a perfect opportunity to gain valuable experience and put some of what you are learning into practice. The role will be challenging, demanding and varied. A fantastic opportunity to begin your engineering experience working alongside a vastly experienced team.
As an Undergraduate Engineer you will learn various aspects of engineering design within an office environment from producing engineering drawings using Auto-CAD and modelling software to assisting engineers throughout the design process.
- Work within the design team under the direction of colleagues.
- Communicate openly with other members of the design team.
- Understand design challenges and participate in their solution.
- Understand the design tools a designer has at their disposal and use them under supervision.
- Develop academic skills by recognising their application to design tasks.
- Recognise the skills and experience of other design team members, and be ready to learn.
- Attend sites and project where required to assist with site inspections and surveys.
- Recognise the commercial requirements of projects and the company as a whole.
- 2 years of a BEng or 2/3 years of MEng degree in Civil/Structural Engineering or related subject.
- Good level of computer literacy including MS Office.
- Good verbal and written English.
- Good attention to detail.
- Interest in using computers for design work and calculation.
- The ability to organise your own work and time management.
- Good communication skills and ability to express ideas.
- A positive and pro-active team player who demonstrates a willingness to apply themselves in a workplace environment.
- A self-starter who displays a ‘can do’ attitude towards tasks and is willing to learn.
Our deadline for applications is Monday 4th December 2023. Our roles are popular, so apply early as some roles may close sooner.
At Richter, we pride ourselves on attracting and retaining the brightest and best, fuelled by a professional environment built on achievement, creativity and career satisfaction.
We find innovative solutions to modern problems. We do what we say we’re going to do – and we make a positive impact on our world through constant learning, innovative thinking, and passion for the work. We ensure that we offer personal development to all within our organisation which allows you to progress your career and offer the opportunity to be mentored by industry recognised Technical Leaders in their field, who will lend you their experience and ensure that the training you receive will give you the best possible chance of success.
Along with offering a competitive salary, you will become part of a collaborative, intelligent and friendly team in an excellent working environment. We welcome and encourage any aspiring engineer who shares our fascination with construction, design and a wonder for how things work, and who looks at the world with curiosity and vision.
Richter was founded to execute projects as efficiently as possible, to the maximum ethical standard. We deliver engineering works with a deep consideration for every conceivable aspect.
We’re continually developing ourselves – as engineers, as a company, and as individuals – to construct in a way that protects natural resources, and create true harmony with the world around us. We’re here to inspire our peers in the industry to be bolder and think bigger – and support younger generations to pursue a career in engineering.
Richter is an engineering design consultancy specialising in temporary works design and construction sequences. Our team of civil, structural and geotechnical engineers have a wealth of experience working on buildings, bridges, geotechnical, marine work, refurbishments, railways, infrastructure and demolition. There is no construction challenge we cannot accept.
We have an impressive portfolio of projects, and are known for taking on and delivering the complex projects that others cannot with a company culture that drives forward our success. We are a collaborative organisation that supports each other as individuals and as a firm to deliver the best possible solution to the project, thus maintaining our reputation for innovation and lateral thinking to ensure we provide the most economical and least wasteful solution to engineering schemes.
You cannot build the world without Richter – we build to improve the way we all live. We engineer value, together.
Richter is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we welcome all qualified applicants. You will receive fair and impartial consideration without regard to sex, race, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, genetic data, or other legally protected status. We recognise that not all disabilities are visible and will make reasonable adjustments to cater for diverse applicants in the selection and assessment process.
To all recruitment agencies: The Richter Group does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our vacancies, employees or any other person acting on behalf of us. Richter is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.