Artificial Intelligence Graduate Internship
The purpose of the role is to conduct cutting-edge mathematical and applied research on foundations and challenges of artificial intelligence (AI) to develop state-of-the-art solutions for real-world large-scale problems at Samsung Research and Development Institute, UK (SRUK). The research output will be disseminated in local and international research communities such as in research seminars, and top-tier conferences and journals.
The accepted interns will have the opportunity to work on diverse fields of AI including but not limited to machine learning, optimization theory, computer vision, pattern recognition, evolutionary computing, image and video processing, speech processing, natural language processing and understanding. In the application process, we’ll work with you to find the opportunity that best aligns with your interests and background.
During the internship, the interns are paired with mentors and expected to collaborate with other interns and research engineers. Interns at SRUK are encouraged and supported to contribute to local and international research communities and efforts by preparing high quality patent proposals and research papers (being listed as an author) with reproducible code for submission to top-tier conferences and journals.
Role and Responsibilities
- Cutting-edge research to develop state-of-the-art solutions to existing problems and/or propose novel research challenges considering real-world case studies in AI.
- Development of high quality code with detailed documentation to support reproducible research in local and international research communities in AI.
- Publication in top-tier conferences and journals, such as NeurIPS, ICML, ICLR, CVPR, ICCV, ECCV, AAAI, ACL, STOC, IEEE TPAMI, IEEE TNNLS, IEEE TSP, IEEE TIP, Information Fusion, JAIR, IJRR, IJCV, and JMLR.
Skills and Qualifications
- Currently studying for a PhD in Mathematics, Computer Science or a related discipline (or just completing). Efficiency in elementary topics in mathematics (calculus, probability, statistics, linear algebra and optimization) and computer science (algorithms, data structures, parallel/distributed computing).
- Experience in one or more general purpose programming languages including Python, Java, C and C++.
- Experience in dissemination of technical and scientific results in top-tier conferences and journals in the aforementioned or related technical and scientific fields.
- Experience in mathematical optimization or statistical machine learning.
- Experience in speech processing and/or recognition.
- Experience in software libraries and toolboxes such as Tensorflow, PyTorch, SciKits, Kaldi, OpenCV and CUDA.
- Experience in software engineering and development. Relevant work experience as an intern or a researcher in an R&D Lab. in academy or industry.
- Ability to design and execute a research agenda.
The internship period is negotiable according to the applicant’s current circumstances, but will typically be 6 to 9 months and candidate must be eligible to work in the UK. The salary will depend on the candidate’s level of experience.