Material Scientist Londonderry 2024
From the videos, music and documents we share with friends and family on social networks, to the servers that form the backbone of enterprise data centers and cloud-based computing, to the desktop and notebook computers that fuel our personal productivity, Seagate products help more people store, share, and protect their valuable digital content. With 97% of the world’s information being stored on hard drives, the rapid growth of digital data makes Seagate more important every day. As an industry leader, Seagate provides unique career opportunities to be part of today’s major technology shifts.
Seagate’s Springtown facility in Derry/Londonderry, Northern Ireland is among the most advanced in the world in the design, development, and volume manufacturing of recording heads.
Are you technically curious with an innovative mind and skills that go beyond pure academic ability? Could you drive change and make a difference?
If so, don’t miss out on this opportunity to join a world leader in the facility that produces 25% of the world’s recording heads.
About Our Group
Process Engineering Group are responsible for delivering world leading wafer manufacturing processes for volume production of recording heads for hard disc drives. We are currently undergoing some exciting transition to the next generation of recording head technology. We are looking for high caliber recent PhD graduates to join us to take on the challenging roles of leading this transition in this world class high-tech manufacturing facility
About the role you will
The successful candidate will work within our engineering team to help deliver world-leading technology and process capability. Your role will involve characterizing and improving materials for HAMR(Heat-assisted-magnetic-recording) processes, controlling, and improving processes to deliver the best recording head performance and yield. You may also work across Process Engineering and RD teams, to help deliver breakthrough processes for key technologies to enable volume production on our next generation products.
- Fabricate and characterizing magnetic thin films in HAMR recording heads
- Work with wafer manufacturing technologies such as Photolithography, Thin Film Deposition, Electroplating and related metrology
- Set up and control processes according to wafer performance specifications. Implement Statistical Process control and set up rules and procedures for reacting to out-of-control situations
- Working with Equipment Vendors for qualification of new equipment and processes and introduction of new technology
- Engage with the Development team for new process qualification and new product introduction.
- Participate in cross functional teams for yield improvement and scrap reduction
- A creative, self-motivated individual with a strong STEM background.
- Have strong analytical skills and proven problem solver,
- A good communicator with excellent presentation and written skills.
- A strong team player who works effectively in a cross-functional team environment
Your experience includes
- Recently graduated from or in the final stage of your PhD degree in Physics, Material Science, Chemistry or other similar disciplines.
- Have experience in fabrication and characterisation of materials at nanoscale
You may also have:
- Familiar with wafer manufacturing processes and technology
- Knowledge in data analytical techniques
Please note that you must demonstrate in the application how you meet the criteria for the role as identified above. To facilitate shortlisting, the company reserves the right to apply enhanced criteria.
At Seagate we are committed to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace. To see all vacancies that Seagate has available, please sign up - Register your interest for career updates with our Talent Network and to be considered for future opportunities: Seagate Careers
Seagate Technology is committed to equal opportunity in employment and welcomes applications from all sections of the community irrespective of sex, marital status, religious affiliation, age, disability or ethnic origin. The Company specifically welcomes applications from the protestant community who are currently underrepresented in this job category. All applications will be considered strictly on the basis of merit.