Graduate Design Engineer
We currently have a great opportunity for a Graduate Design Engineer to join the McAlpine Design Group based in Hemel Hempstead.
Why join us?
In the 150 years since our foundation, Sir Robert McAlpine has worked on some of the country's most iconic buildings and projects. Our success through the decades has been down to our people - we're a family-owned business with a culture that brings out the best in individuals and teams. Right now, we're excited about continuing our legacy. This is where to achieve more from your career, by proudly building Britain's future heritage with us.
The Graduate Design Engineer role
Reporting to a Principal Design Engineer you will be a Graduate Engineer looking for an approved graduate training scheme with ambition to obtain Incorporated Engineer status within 3 years and Chartered Engineer status within 6 years.
Responsibilities of the Graduate Design Engineer include, but are not limited to:
- Prepare designs in accordance with MDG QA Procedures
- Provide buildability support on structural design solutions carried out by external consultants.
- Prepare alternative designs for company construction tenders, or research any construction methods that may provide commercial advantage for tenders.
- Liaise with CAD technicians.
- Coordinate with other disciplines, either internally or externally depending on the project and expertise of the individual.
- Attend design meetings in the company of a Principal Design Engineer.
You will be a motivated individual with a keen interest in structural, civil, geotechnical engineering as appropriate with an appreciation of the other disciplines and architecture. Degree Qualified in Civil Engineering or Geology
Ideally you will have some knowledge of WALLAP, Holebase and/or SLOPE W. Some site/construction experience beneficial to support production of design focused on buildability and efficient construction
Geotechnical engineers will need to be able to determine design parameters and understand what is required in preparing specifications
- Preparations of simple calculations
- Solid geological knowledge
- Slope stability experience is not essential but useful
- An understanding of contamination and waste is not essential but desirable
We're ready to invest in you and your future, and offer wide-ranging, performance-related progression opportunities. Our competitive rewards packages feature flexible benefits to fit your lifestyle and priorities.