Graduate Transport Modeller Birmingham 2024
We are looking for an analytical and curious graduate from a Maths, Geography, Physics (or similar) discipline, to join the SLR graduate programme with our industry-leading transport modelling team.
The role will be based in our Birmingham office (city centre location) and offers flexible and home working opportunities.
We are a thriving modelling team and our goal is to offer specialist Transport Microsimulation support across the transport planning sectors. We work closely with our clients to provide a high-quality modelling service, tailored to their needs and at exceptional value. Our ambition is to grow rapidly and continue to build on our reputation for quality, value and success.
SLR are global leaders in environmental and advisory solutions helping our clients achieve their sustainability goals. We are a consultancy with over 3,500 employees across 6 regions – including over 1,000 staff across Europe. Our ‘one team’ culture is at the heart of our business; providing a collaborative and supportive environment for professional development.
Along with competitive salaries, our staff enjoy a comprehensive benefits package with a company pension plus excellent healthcare offering, travel and life insurance, critical illness cover and a structured career framework with regular reviews offering outstanding opportunities for progression. Alongside 25 day’s annual leave, SLR offer flexible, agile and hybrid working which enables staff to tailor hours worked around core hours, and our family friendly policies help balance the needs of professional and family life.
The role will involve the following duties and responsibilities:
- Microsimulation modelling using VISSIM and Paramics software packages: You will be provided with training from our experienced team, which will be unmatched anywhere else. The aim will be to bring the successful candidate up to a standard well above the industry’s average in avery short space of time. This has been tried and tested and we pride ourselves on the training opportunities we provide
- Data manipulation and presentation of model inputs and outputs: Adding value to the presentations and processes, using complex spreadsheets, as your understanding of the objectives becomes clear
- Using GIS software to present model outputs: You will be given the freedom to explore and develop new and innovative ways of delivering the required outputs in an interesting and professional format
- Producing reports and technical notes: Creating written advice to a high standard, ensuring the appropriate message is conveyed and tailored to the specific client and the project objectives
- Client management: Dealing with clients and attending meetings with senior staff to agree methodologies, discuss project specific issues and present results
We are open to candidates from a range of backgrounds, but strongly encourage applications from STEM or Geography graduates.
We are looking for someone who has:
- A strong work ethic and a determination to achieve their goals
- The ability to problem solve and work under pressure
- Enthusiasm and learning agility
- A high proficiency in Microsoft Excel
- Skills in analysis and numeracy, with an eye for detail
- A keen interest in entering the world of transport modelling
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
SLR Consulting is committed to being an equal opportunities employer, and our expectations go beyond purely complying with legislation. Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DE&I) are at the core of who we are and who we choose to be. We embrace diverse cultures, perspectives, skills, and experiences within and outside our organisation. We respect and celebrate difference to ensure SLR is a place where everyone feels included, is encouraged to be their authentic self and has opportunities to grow.
Across Europe, our DE&I agenda is driven forward through our DE&I Committee, which actively promotes diversity, equity, and inclusion across both our internal processes and our client work. Globally, our Global Culture & Diversity Council brings together representatives from across our regions to share ideas and best practice that can be incorporated into our global policies, enabling greater transparency and supporting the development of an inclusive culture, inclusive approaches to policies and practices, and to personal behaviours.
We welcome applications from everybody, regardless of their background, and particularly invite those from groups who are currently under-represented in our business to apply, such as women, ethnic minorities, LGBTQ+ and disabled people.