Finance Assistant Guildford 2023
The Finance Assistant will work within a Finance team of fourteen and will initially be involved with aspects of office and client accounting. They will report to the Finance Supervisor.
The job will consist of the following tasks...
- Bank Reconciliations – daily
- Logging incoming cheques and preparing paperwork for banking
- Processing cheques for both office and client bank accounts
- Processing client and office bank payments
- Processing invoices
- Monitoring bank transactions and posting transactions to the bank account and matter ledgers
- Ensure SRA compliance is adhered to through the correct movement of office and client funds
- General ad-hoc support to legal departments
- Registering/chasing VAT invoices relating to Disbursements
- Processing corporate card expenses
Qualifications and experience
- Previous finance experience within a professional services environment and 3E Practice Management System would be ideal, but not essential
- A minimum of 5 GCSEs (or equivalent) including English and maths GCSE at Grade C/4 and above
- Knowledge and experience of using Outlook, Word & Excel
- Good numerical skills
- Excellent English and grammar
- Proven ability to learn new IT systems, internal processes and procedures
- Resilient and calm with a confident and professional demeanour
- Good interpersonal and communication skills are essential
- Proven ability to demonstrate effective time management skills and the ability to prioritise a varied workload appropriately
- Proactive and self-motivated, demonstrating the ability to use initiative
- Self-driven to learn and develop knowledge and understanding of processes and procedures
- Proven ability to be a team player
- Excellent organisation and administration skills
- Proven experience of being adapt to cultural requirements and to embrace ambiguity and flexibility.
- Excellent accuracy and attention to detail
- Competitive base salary
- Pensions Scheme (5% employer contribution)
- Private medical insurance
- Permanent health insurance
- Life assurance
- Receive either the sum of £750 per annum as a travel allowance or reimbursement of carparking expenses via a pay as you go card at a local carpark (likely to be Farnham Road carpark)
- Travel – option to apply for an interest free loan for a season ticket or parking permit
- Enhanced maternity/paternity pay (after sufficient service)
- Cash back scheme
- Comprehensive flexible benefits package including:
- Critical illness insurance
- Buy/Sell holiday scheme
- Dental insurance
- Cycle to work schemes
- Taste card
- Fun pass
- Give as you earn
- Discounted gym memberships and shopping
- Profit share and discretionary bonus schemes
Stevens & Bolton – making a positive difference to your career
Stevens & Bolton is a leading independent UK law firm located in Guildford, supporting clients across the world. With over 270 people, approximately 160 lawyers, many of whom chose to join us from City law firms.
Our vision is to be one of the UK’s most successful law firms, offering excellence beyond the city, a supportive culture and the best client experience. We take great pride in being named "Law Firm of the Year: The Independents" at The Lawyer Awards 2020 and receiving commendation in 2023.
At Stevens & Bolton, we pledge to make a positive difference for our clients and colleagues alike. For our colleagues, this means providing support in their daily work and fostering their career growth. You’ll work with people who listen, and who actively and willingly support one another within a collaborative and engaging environment. We genuinely care about our people and strive to build and maintain a diverse, inclusive and happy workforce.
Diversity and inclusion lie at the core of our values. Our inclusive culture encourages everyone to realise their full potential and be themselves at work. In 2020 we were shortlisted for “Best D&I Initiative” at The HR Awards and for “Best Talent and Inclusion Initiative” at The Lawyer Awards.
We are committed to an agile working model that provides flexibility and benefits everyone's lives. Our newly refurbished office in Guildford offers a modern and adaptable working environment - a central hub where collaboration, teamwork, and socialising thrive. Furthermore, we equip our people with the necessary IT infrastructure and support to seamlessly work from home.