Engineering Graduate Scheme Burnaston 2024
Engineering at Toyota isn't about nuts and bolts. It's much more about having imagination plus the dedication to keep developing the best processes and products. We encourage our engineers to look at things from every angle to find better ways of working.
That's always been the Toyota Way - as our founder Sakichi Toyoda put it: "Inspiration comes from many places. We need to have our eyes, our minds and our hearts open to things we interact with every day, so open your window to the world." You can see that commitment reflected in cars like the Corolla. It's what makes Toyota a great place for inquisitive engineers to sharpen their skills.
You time here
Here at Toyota we develop members fit for both now and the future, focusing on personal and professional development. Over the two-year scheme, you'll get to see the breadth of our business, receiving responsibility that will stretch your problem-solving skills and introduce you to people at all levels.
It’s a challenging scheme, consistently testing your abilities, but equally you’ll receive plenty of support from your mentor, managers, and colleagues. You will be working on valuable projects in one of the following areas:
The Quality Assurance Division instils and drives a Quality Mindset across the whole business. This philosophy and culture is integral to all areas of the business and therefore means that a role within Quality Assurance is diverse and varied in nature. Previous Trainee Engineer (Graduate) projects include:
- Identifying and developing quality improvement activities for a diverse range of manufacturing processes which embrace New Technology
- Working with 1st Tier and 2nd Tier Part Suppliers, across the UK and mainland Europe, on their Quality Manufacturing Systems (overseas travel opportunities)
- Collaborating with other Toyota sites across Europe on kaizen activities
- Developing and project managing business cases for future improvement activities
As a graduate within our Mass Assembly department, you will assume the role of Line Engineer alongside the current Line Engineer and become familiar with our assembly shop. You will be working on valuable projects to support the production line, getting involved with and leading activities (with support) relating to areas such as:
- Managing change throughout your area of responsibility.
- Supporting projects and technical systems such as layout/process changes and traceability.
- Supporting the production line to investigate and resolve concerns raised by members that could have a negative impact on key performance indicators – safety, quality, cost, and time.
- Planning and managing contractor work in the area.
- Implementing new equipment in a safe and timely manner.
- Communicating changes with important stakeholders including management, production members, mass assembly team.
All graduates will take part in six weeks of line training. This will mean that for those six weeks you will work on an area where we build the cars down on the shop floor.
Although tough, this experience is extremely rewarding and interesting and gives you a real hands-on insight into what Toyota Manufacturing is all about. We believe this experience is crucial for your personal development and rather unique to our company.
We place great emphasis on learning by doing - usually through structured, on-the-job training. Our graduate programme is assessed and designed to help you reach the standard needed to move into an engineer position at the end of the 2-year programme.
What we look for
Our engineers are greatly valued and are essential to the success of the business, planning and implementing new equipment, systems, and processes. They're also pivotal in bringing the famous Toyota Production System to life - whether refining a process from a technical perspective or assessing the environmental impact of a production change. Ultimately, we want engineers who are versatile enough to work across the whole plant and beyond.
Alongside having a consistently strong academic record, with a minimum 2:1 predicted degree result*, we are looking for people who actively want to learn from others and are motivated to take on new challenges with a positive mindset.
We believe that there's always a better way, therefore if you share our values and thrive on analysing problems from different angles to develop solutions, you could go a long way with us. Similarly, taking a practical approach to your work is important – you will need to be as comfortable on the shop floor as you are in the office.
*(BEng/MEng degree discipline required).
Right to live and work in the UK & ideally UK driving license.