Civil Engineering Graduate Scheme London 2024
On this scheme you get to direct your own development – you’ll be responsible for arranging most of your 6-month placements while on the scheme to maximise your own experience, working on the projects and with the teams that interest you the most.
What we offer
You will enjoy excellent benefits and scope to grow. Rewards vary according to the business area but mostly include:
- Free travel on the TfL network for you and a nominee who lives in the same household
- Final salary pension scheme
- Discounted national rail and Eurostar travel
- Minimum 30 days Annual leave plus public and bank holidays
- Private healthcare discounted scheme
- Tax-efficient cycle-to-work programme
- Retail, health, leisure and travel offers & many more
- A minimum of 2:1 MEng or MSc degree in Civil Engineering or equivalent, or on track to achieve a minimum 2:1 MEng or MSc degree in Civil Engineering or equivalent. Your academic qualification must meet the requirements for CEng registration with the Institution of Civil Engineers.
Please be advised that should you be successful in getting an offer for this graduate scheme, your offer will be subject to a satisfactory medical which may include but is not limited to: drugs and alcohol screening, eye test and hearing test.
Please Note: We only allow one application for any of our Graduate schemes per year. Any subsequent applications will be withdrawn. If your primary interest is in the Environmental Engineering scheme, please apply to that scheme and you will be asked which of the primary institutions (IET, IMechE and ICE) you wish to align with. You will then automatically be considered for places on the graduate scheme associated with your chosen institution as well.
Proposed Start date:
9th September 2024
What will I be doing?
As a graduate, your three-year development programme will be made up of up to six placement rotations. Our aim is to equip you with the range of skills and experience you need for your successful career. We understand that everyone’s career and ambitions are different, so every graduate’s journey is unique.
Your work could span multiple transport modes, working in teams from across TfL with customers, local government, suppliers, consultants and contractors to deliver city-defining programmes. You will enable reliable operation of one of the world's leading transport networks and shape London’s future transport network.
The placements our Civil Engineering Graduate Engineers are currently working on include:
- Silvertown Tunnel – A new road tunnel being built under The Thames using an innovative design, build, maintain, operate contract
- Elephant & Castle redevelopment – interface with the redevelopment of Elephant & Castle shopping centre the design and construction of a new LU station entrance.
- Infrastructure Protection – working with external developers, designers and contractors to make sure their works don’t damage our assets or affect our operations
- Asset Engineers – working with one of our technical discipline teams to assess and manage our track, drainage, geotechnical, tunnel and structural assets. Getting involved in repair and replacement options, designs and construction assurance, and structural assessments.
- Project Management and Sponsorship – getting experience with delivery of small- and large-scale transport projects from inception, investment decisions, to construction.
Your work will vary from placement to placement, and you will have the opportunity to identify your own placements on the projects you are most interested in, guided by your scheme Sponsor, Mentor, Buddy and Development Advisor. Placements could include improving the service life of structures and earthworks of London Underground, delivering innovative step-free access schemes to improve accessibility to our network, working with our consultants to design new low-carbon station boxes and tunnels on our Major Projects like Bank Station Capacity Upgrade, and designing new road layouts with our Highways Engineering teams to create new cycle superhighways across London.
Sustainability is intrinsic to TfL’s work ethos, and we ensure that we operate in a sustainable way to protect and regenerate the natural world.
Civil engineers are fundamental to designing, building and maintaining a sustainable transport network that meet the needs of London today and in the future. As part of this scheme you will be given training on Sustainability and drive forward more sustainable designs and construction and maintenance practices.
Where can this career take me?
A career with us can be very varied with opportunities across the whole of our engineering team for you to enjoy.
Typically, within five to eight years, you will be eligible to apply for Chartered Engineer status. This could open up opportunities to be a Senior Engineer, Project Engineer or Construction Engineer responsible for making key technical decisions. After a further few years, you could be a Team Leader or Project Technical Lead, managing your own team and make strategic decisions on design, strategy, and processes.
What training and support will you get?
Our award-winning teams will support your ongoing development, through a wide range of on-the-job practical experience and placements. We'll support your professional development through a combination of training, mentoring, and networking.
You'll also receive one-to-one guidance throughout the programme from your:
- Placement manager: Responsible for your day-to-day management and support with your development
- Lead Scheme Sponsor: A Senior Manager who sets the technical direction for the scheme and guides the development and training of those on scheme.
- Supervising Civil Engineer (Sponsor): A Senior Engineer who acts as a technical and professional adviser and has line manager responsibility
- Buddy: Usually, an apprentice or graduate who gives support to you and ensure that you feel welcomed in the organisation
- Development adviser: Supports your professional development through providing career coaching and career progression at TfL
What do we look for?
Our core values are extremely important to us, and we desire candidates who are:
- Caring about our colleagues, our customers and our work
- Open to each other, to new ideas and to working together
- Adaptable to diverse needs and willing to innovate
You will receive support and information around each assessment stage as you progress through your application.
Please pay close attention to emails and deadlines provided noting you have 1 week to complete assessments, and we cannot re-issue these tests.
Assessment centres for graduates and intern roles will take place from November-January, please note that many roles only have 1 assessment day, and we are unable to guarantee additional dates. We are conducting assessment centres in person and virtually (role dependent).
What Qualifications will I gain?
You will be developing your professional portfolio for Chartership with the Institution of Civil Engineers. The expectation is that you will have signed-off 90% of the experience required for Chartership by the end of your 3-year scheme and be ready to sit for your Chartership review within 2-4 years after you finish on the Graduate scheme.
Inclusive Recruitment Process
We operate a transparent recruitment process that removes barriers for candidates with a disability. Please let us know if you require reasonable adjustments for any stages of the application process.
We're a Disability Confident employer, and we offer guaranteed interviews to candidates who apply via the scheme where the minimum criteria for skills, knowledge and experience have been met.
In High Volume campaigns including Graduate, Apprentice and Intern recruitment the minimum criteria we set is achieving a pass mark in our first stage assessments, adopting a proportionate approach as part of the Disability Confident scheme.