Junior Data Analyst 2021
It’s the passionate and dedicated team at Universal Music UK who help make us Britain’s leading music company. From A&R to finance, legal to digital, sales to marketing, Universal Music is the place to grow and develop your career within a truly commercial and innovative business that leads in everything it does.
Everyone is welcome to apply for our roles, and we are determined to ensure that no applicant or employee receives less favourable treatment because of gender, race, disability, sexual orientation, religion, belief, age, marital status, background, pregnancy or caring responsibilities. We also recognise the importance of diversity of thought within our teams and are fully committed to embracing the talents of people with autism, dyslexia, ADHD and other forms of neurocognitive variation.
We will always seek to make appropriate adjustments to recruitment, workplaces, and work processes to be fully inclusive to people with different needs and working styles. If you need us to make any reasonable adjustments for you from application onwards, including alternatives to the online form or to disclose a neurocognitive condition, please email UniversalMusicCareers@umusic.com
The A Side: A Day in The Life
UMC is the label responsible for ensuring the continued success of Universal Music Group’s world class catalogue of recordings. We work with some of the most successful, innovative, timeless and respected artists of all time, continuing to grow their audiences across multiple entry points and platforms and keep the world listening. From The Beatles to Massive Attack, through to the soundtracks of Disney, UMC develops strategies across audio, video, marketing, social, streaming and product development.
Our vision is a world where music doesn’t have a sell-by date. We believe music is timeless and as guardians of the best music catalogues in the world, we use our passion and knowledge to help people find their new favourite song, whether it is 2 days or 2 decades old.
Our purpose is to continually spark a connection and reconnection with music that matters drawing on new content, new platforms, and new moments. We give momentarily forgotten music the chance to reconnect with new and unexpected audiences through great storytelling regardless of generation and genre.
The B Side: Skills & Experience
Reporting to the Analytics Translator, you will be a key part of reimagining the way we think about communicating data and insights to our artists and colleagues, future proofing all that we do with smart intel and raising the standard across the team on data literacy.
Planning: Contribute to delivering hard working insights that shape strategy and change thinking
- Work alongside the Analytics Translator to evolve the work/reports we produce to support artist strategy
- Help manage and prioritise analysis requests from the label team
- Refresh / update the artist reporting which will help show areas of opportunities to guide planning meetings
- Spend time with the relevant marketing teams to understand their needs
Delivery: Help build the tools and processes that will allow the teams to work smarter
- Look to build automation into all that you do to support smart ways of working
- Support the build of all our team dashboards to enable quick and easy access to key metrics
- Help produce visually exciting pieces of insight / analysis to ensure non-data minded stakeholders are engaged
Evaluation: Follow and help shape an Evaluation Framework that is consistent and focussed
- Analyse large data sets to find key takeaways that are clear and actionable when necessary. Data sets to vary from streaming data to social media data
- Support the data translator in building a clear evaluation framework for the team
- Follow the evaluation framework and feedback structure then once implemented deliver consistent work for the team
- Extract bespoke data sets using SQL from cloud-based data storage platforms
- Build strong relationships with other central data teams to keep up to date on analyses being produced and understand wider business focus
- Keep up to date with external industry analyses and communicate any interesting insights to the wider label team
Culture: Make people excited, intrigued and no longer afraid of data
- Participate in events and workshops that excite the teams and push the learning agenda, supporting the Data Translator who will lead the learning agenda and content
- Help make data accessible and educate the teams on how they can become more self-sufficient
- Highly organised with the ability to keep calm under pressure
- The ability to learn quickly
- Self-motivated, hard-working and enthusiastic
- You love music
- Highly numerate with the ability to uncover patterns, trends and stories within data
- An understanding of the techniques and technologies of data science
- Knowledge of and experience using SQL and cloud-based data storage preferable
- Strong excel skills (VLOOKUP, SUMIFS, INDEX, MATCH, pivot tables etc)
- Knowledge of Power BI / Domo / Google Data Studio preferable
- A love for marketing and understanding of the importance of data within that process
- Flexible and able to prioritise the workload
- Excellent project management, verbal and written communication skills with the ability to deal with people at all levels within the business.
- Good presentation skills to sell in creative ideas to the label, artists and management
- Hard working, enthusiastic and willing to work outside of work hours when necessary to ensure successful delivery
- You have an eye for detail
Bonus Tracks: Your Benefits
- Group Personal Pension Scheme (between 3% and 9%)
- Private Medical Insurance
- 25 paid days of annual leave
- Interest Free Season Ticket Loan available
- Holiday Purchase scheme
- Dental and Travel Insurance options
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Salary Sacrifice Cars
- Subsidised Gym Membership
- Employee Discounts (Reward Gateway)
Just So You Know
The company presents this job description as a guide to the major areas and duties for which the jobholder is accountable. However, the business operates in an environment that demands change and the jobholder's specific responsibilities and activities will vary and develop. Therefore, the job description should be seen as indicative and not as a permanent, definitive and exhaustive statement.