We’re the UK’s largest integrated digital retailer and financial services provider, and we’ve been helping customers say yes when it matters most for over 100 years. In that time, we’ve consistently reinvented our business to adapt to economic conditions and industry changes – going from bricks, to clicks, to mobile.
But despite our passion for reinvention, we’ve never wavered from our purpose; to make good things easily accessible to more people. It means giving our customers the brands they love, an outstanding shopping experience and flexible ways to spread the cost.
We’ve continued to deliver for our customers throughout the Covid-19 outbreak – and we’ve done it by transforming the way we work.
We’re fired up for the future and the next stage in our development. We’ll give customers access to more great brands for themselves and their families, a seamless shopping experience and even more control of their finances through innovation in flexible ways to pay.
Ready to reinvent? Get in touch..
About the team
You will spend your placement year as part of the DNA team (Data-iNsight-Action) that consists of talented data professionals ranging from architects, data engineers and strategists to MI specialists, analysts and data scientists and marketing technology and data governance experts. We collaborate with people across the organisation to solve our industry’s biggest problems in new and innovative ways by managing, analysing and interpreting some of the largest retail data sets in the business. The technologies that we use include a combination of proprietary and open source technologies such as AWS, SAS, Power BI, SQL, Python, R, a range of Web analytics tools and many more.
We have two streams available for placements.
As part of your placement you will have a chance to rotate through our analytical, BI and Data Science teams to gain experience and learnings that gives you a holistic view of how our data operations come together. This is a unique opportunity to work with the latest tech and best digital minds to create an amazing shopping experience for our customers and constantly learning along the way. We are looking for innovative problem solvers and we want your passion, energy and drive to contribute to our teams and help continue to challenge the way we do things.
As part of your placement you will have a chance to work with our data platform team building infrastructure as code such as AWS Machine images, Networking, Security, cost optimisations and/or our data pipeline teams building data flows ranging from ingesting new data sources, data transformations with technologies such as Python, Scala and DBT and large scale MPP warehouses like Teradata and AWS Redshift. This is a unique opportunity to work with the latest tech and best digital minds to create an amazing shopping experience for our customers and constantly learning along the way. We are looking for innovative problem solvers and we want your passion, energy and drive to contribute to our teams and help continue to challenge the way we do things.
- You have a thirst for knowledge as you will be learning every day and we want to give you the best development to set you up for success.
- You have excellent problem-solving skills with a creative and innovate mindset.
- You are ideally working towards a technical or analytical degree at your university.
- You will have started to develop a base of technical skills (such as coding, analysis, modelling etc) as part of your university studies that you are looking to build on during your year with The Very Group.
- You are comfortable working in a fast-paced environment, which means that you are also a superb organiser with excellent communication skills.
- You are interested in pursuing a career in data and learning more about our data disciplines: e.g. data architecture, data engineering, data operations, data governance, data analytics, MI, data strategy or data science.