Training Contract 2023
We’re a progressive and forward thinking firm, with a strong regional heritage through longstanding connections within the communities in which we operate. We are a top 20 law firm by revenue with more than 420 partners and 1,000 lawyers across eight offices in the UK and 19 offices in the US. This ensures that we’re always close to our clients’ needs while bringing a transatlantic perspective and extended jurisdictional reach.
Choose us for your training contract and, over the course of two years, you’ll get the chance to experience different areas of the law first hand and to work with a variety of colleagues and clients. It is a lot of responsibility at an early stage of your career but we think that is part of what makes our training programme so appealing. While we’re pushing you outside of your comfort zone, we’re providing you with all of the support you need to succeed.
It matters to us that we have the right people working alongside us but, actually, there isn’t a typical WBD person. Our trainees come from diverse backgrounds and bring a range of experience – and that’s important to us.
Of course, we expect everyone to share our enthusiasm for the law and to demonstrate a passion for our business.
What you'll do
You’ll spend six months in four seats, gaining genuine breadth of experience along the way. It’s by having access to this variety, surrounded by supportive, approachable professionals, that we can develop your skills and help you to find your niche.
Trusted to deliver
Whichever of our offices you join us in, you’ll have access to high-quality work and senior client contacts. We regularly second trainees to our most high-profile clients – it’s testament to the level of trust we’re prepared to place in you.
We truly believe that the quality of training at Womble Bond Dickinson is second to none. We consistently take the time to ensure that we deliver on our promises so we’re delighted to have been recognised through award nominations.
We make sure that your supervisors are well trained and supported on an ongoing basis. So as well as being experts in their field, they’re confident when it comes to passing on their skills and expertise. You’ll also have a mentor to guide you through your first two years and beyond. They’ll be able to answer all your queries and pass on the fruits of their experience – after all, it isn’t long since they were in your shoes.
The recruitment process and applying
Our recruitment process is designed to put you through your paces, but it’s also about sharing our unique culture with you, so you get a real sense of the firm you might be joining. Here are details on how to apply and what you can expect as you progress through the process.
- We review our application process on an annual basis but typically the first stage is an online application form. This allows us to assess your analytical thinking, communication / influencing skills, a talent for building strong, lasting relationships, the ability to adapt and innovate, plus understanding if you have plenty of drive and motivation for the law and our business.
- Our graduate recruitment team read every application they receive from cover to cover and don’t screen out candidates because of their academic results. We fully appreciate that a lot of time and effort goes into the completion of a training contract application form and the very least we can do is to give it the attention that it deserves.
- Candidates will be asked to complete a set of neuroscience-based exercises. There is no right or wrong answer to the exercises, but an opportunity for the firm to measure candidates cognitive and personality traits. For further information please visit the Pymetrics website.
- If successful following the application and Pymetric stage, we will invite you to complete a pre-recorded video interview. This is an opportunity for the graduate team to get to know you a little more.
- The next step is to attend an assessment centre. Assessment centres will involve a number of individual and group exercises. You’ll also have the opportunity to meet a selection of people from around the business. It’s very much a two-way process. By the end of the day, you’ll be in a position to decide if this is the right scheme for you – and we’ll know if you’re right for us.
- Our work placement weeks form part of the training contract recruitment process.
We encourage you to apply for the work placements, as they will give you an opportunity to get to know our business and see first-hand the responsibility and quality of work given to our trainee solicitors.