Networking & Taking Advantage of Opportunities, University of YorkBy Bright Network
Author and former lawyer, Jake Schogger trained at Freshfields, before embarking on a career as an entrepreneur and legal adviser to start-ups. This is hispractical guide to networking and taking advantage of opportunities, including real life examples of what to do and, more importantly, what not to do.
Over the hour presentation, Jake will cover:
- The purpose of networking;
- What networking involves (it’s broader than you think!);
- How to effectively approach networking in different contexts;
- Practical tips for “in person” networking (including at employer events);
- Practical tips for networking through LinkedIn;
- Key benefits of networking;
- Key career-related considerations;
- Key transferable skills; and
- An insight into how networking in a number of contexts helped Jake to build a flexible career working with start-ups and freelance clients.
By the end of the workshop you will have:
- Gained abetter understanding of what networking actually involves;
- Obtained an insight into how to effectively network in different contexts;
- Learned how to convert short elevator pitches into informative calls and meetings.
Room - P/X/001 (Physics Exhibition Centre)